Gritty mix first attempt
Am I the next gritty mix failure?
Live in Seattle and used the sources found here...
Reptobark + chicken grit#2 + MVP Turface
1. I used the reptobark right out of the bag. But I bought the big bag and I later read that the big bag has bigger pieces than the small bag. I also didn't soak the bark.
2. Chicken grit #2 is mostly small, the turface looked a little bigger. I screened it with a 1/16 screen. My first batch I got tired of screening it and shorted that batch some granite
3. I screened the turface with the 1/16 screen. I was not overzealous in my screening.
1. I probably have way too much undersize grit and some oversized bark. How will this affect my results?
2. What about using #3 grit instead? I saw reference to a higher keep rate with #3
3. Measured water retention-put two cups in got one cup back out the bottom of the pot. Is this because of not soaking bark or too small grit?
4. And even at Al's 20% draining back out rate thats a lot of water, do people leave their pots in saucers filled with that water?
5. Does it matter how I apply the water? Sprinkle versus pour?
6. In the grity mix failure thread, people mention watering every day. Is that every hot day or every day period?
7. I planted some herbs and a pomegranite in pots in the mix and I mostly bare rooted them. I planted them with the roots going straight down, should I have spread them out more, horizontally? So far I have one plant out seven that objected to the treatment