Need Shrub Combination Help (Ogon Spirea near Black Lace ?)

mary4b(4b WI)April 13, 2014

I'm doing shrub selections for a backyard shrub garden.
I think I'm on my way to an idea, but am wondering about a few plants that might or might not look good in the mix.

Already there and staying: multi-trunked Sunburst Honeylocust and a Montgomery dwarf blue spruce shrub. Planning to fill in with a lot of hostas...especially blues, maybe a large Sum & Substance or Sunpower accent if I think the colors would work. If not, I could go with a more blue variegated hosta accent like Liberty...

Almost definitely hoping to add: Gentsch White Hemlock, Black Lace Elderberry
The question is: would the Black Lace Elderberry look bad (clash, or be a pukey color combo) if near an Ogon Spirea?

The reason for my concern: I have a shrub border with a lot of Diablo and Summerwine Ninebarks. I discovered that anything yellow near them looked bad to me. In autumn, Black-Eyed Susan were fine, but the yellow from Indian Cup Plant and Oenethera (Lemon Drops) did not look nice, especially if any soft pink got in the mix, I really thought it looked "pukey". (Sorry for the bad word choice.) The ninebarks look greated with pinks with no yellow around or maybe acceptable with yellows, if no pink was around. The pinks I'm referring to were Autumn Joy Sedum / Hollyhocks.

Since the ninebarks have a similar color to Black Lace, that's what makes me concerned about getting into this color combo again, since the foliage on the Ogon will get very yellow in the fall.

And if those would work together, could I add in either or both: Fothergilla Blue Shadow / Hydrangea Quickfire and still be good on colors and textures?

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
louisianagal(z7bMS)

I just love mixed shrub borders. If you already know that you dislike the yellow color combo then I would omit that one.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 1:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mary4b(4b WI)

I guess I should have just asked more directly...does anyone have experience putting Ogon Spirea with Black Lace....or does anyone have any opinion one way or the other? I think if I don't put pinks in the garden and just stick with blues, it would be a great combo, but it's always nice to have some help from those with more experience.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 9:26PM
More Discussions
Help with small retaining wall
I am starting to landscape my yard and am having trouble...
jminternelia
light green leaf tree
Looking for a bright green leaf small/medium sized...
guatnut
Trying to design a border in front of elevated deck
I want to plant several shrubs in front of my elevated...
northraleighguy
Landscaping ideas - Need help with suggestions of plants please
We would like to seek help in filling our concrete...
stinerantsen
Sponsored Products
Textured Lines Rug 12' x 15' - BROWN
$5,899.00 | Horchow
Urban Chic Bookshelf
$899.99 | Dot & Bo
Ribbon Black Adjustable Hydraulic Bar Table
Overstock.com
Gibigiana 1/2 Table Lamp by Flos Lighting
$495.00 | Lumens
Sterling Industries 6043663 Viana Table
Beyond Stores