Keeping weeds out while getting flowers to grow

jencoxApril 21, 2010

I'm wanting a mixture of plants on the side of my house. I started a couple of years ago but they haven't taken over yet...the problem is how to keep the weeds out while my flowers get established? Do I mulch? Use preen? grass killer??

Jennifer

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

Weeding - for many, one of the more odious gardening chores. I personally don't mind weeding; find it therapeutic. How big a space are you dealing with? Biting the bullet, hand weeding it out and covering with a thick layer of mulch might be your best bet - taking care not to smother your desireable plants in the process.

Preen stops new weeds from germinating/sprouting; it will not kill existing weeds. So you have to weed first in one fashion or another every season before using Preen. Grass killers are pretty much equal opportunity killers - can't distinguish between a dandylion and a daylily.

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 12:59PM
lazy_gardens

Mulch and hand weed.

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 1:17PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Displays of annuals, bulbs and perennials require more elbow grease than established tree and shrub groupings. If interest or ability are limited, don't plant a lot of flowers. Maybe you should have some container gardens featuring flowers, near doorways and limit the yard to lawn and some shrubs.

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 2:25PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

No quick solutions, unfortunately. Weeding before they go to seed, and then heavy mulch in bare areas is the best long term remedy. When planting cleared new beds, Preen can work, but I'd also follow up with a 3 to 4 inch minimum layer of mulch. Keep on top of weeds before they set seed, and half the battle is won.

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 2:35PM
More Discussions
Landscaping front yard, zone 5. HELP!!!! :)
We have recently done some work to our front yard (tearing...
midwestmelissa
garden design ideas for a raised brick flower bed.
Every year I try with all my might to do something...
midwestmelissa
Huge commercial project behind me
Hi, all. The Deathstar has arrived-- that is, the 60,000...
demeron
What can I put here for privacy
I bought this house 18 months ago and I'm not certain...
Carlton Clay
seeking creative solution to pine root damage in driveway
Hello, My neighbor has some large pines which are on...
gardnergal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™