Rain Garden as a drainage solution

anidraApril 18, 2014

hello,

We have an area in our backyard which is always wet and soggy. After the snow melted this spring and some rain storms hit last week, the area is a like a swamp. There is standing water in some places and the rest is muddy and soggy. Installing a french drain system is very expensive and I would like to find a more cost-effective solution. Do you think that a rain garden would solve the issue? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)

We have an area of the backyard that we call 'the wet corner'. Our property and two neighbouring ones drain into that area, so in spring (i.e. now!) it is a bog. It eventually dries out in summer but you can't walk on it at this time of year and any planting hole immediately fills up with water, although there is rarely standing water there. While not formally a 'rain garden', that area is planted with things that like - or tolerate - the conditions (it's shady too...) There are a couple of other places that are seasonally wet and I treat them the same way. Luckily none of them are areas where I would want to have a patio or seating or other functional hardscape or structures. If that is the case for you, planting is certainly the easiest option, but if the wet interferes with use, a drainage solution would be required.

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 2:25PM
anidra

Thank you! I was hoping to hear this answer. I am planning to select plants that tolerate these conditions and hopefully it would work. The place is shady too.

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 3:45PM
Ruth_MI(z5MI)

You said it's "always" wet and soggy - is that year 'round? I have an area that has standing water in the spring, but can also be quite dry in the summer. Some plants will tolerate one but not the other.

I've had great luck with chelone lyoni in that spot. The area is shady but not deep shade.

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 5:55PM
More Discussions
Need landscaping ideas
Hi, we just built this house on a junior acre in zone...
imcheetah
Issue with Retainer Wall, fixable or redo?
Hi, first time posting here. I'm looking for advice...
John Turner
Help with frontyard design changes
Hi, I’m in the process of replacing turf in my front...
quikslvr0017
quick screen
I'm zone 7 and the spot is full sun. I had a 12' photinia...
Mary Bright
Landscape design assistance
Hello, Our home is in Connecticut (Zone 6A) and we've...
stook1
Sponsored Products
Happy Frogs Faux Stone and Bronze Garden Fountain
Lamps Plus
Fresca Allier 24 Gray Oak Modern Bathroom Vanity w/ Mirror
Hudson Reed
Flat Bird House - White
Signature Hardware
Sky Butterfly Garden Pitcher - MULTI COLORS
$78.00 | Horchow
Campania International Old Crabby The Crustasion Cast Stone Garden Statue - A-37
$99.99 | Hayneedle
Charleston Outdoor Bar Stool with Cushion, Patio Furniture
$816.00 | FRONTGATE
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: American Rug Craftsmen Rugs Oak Creek
Home Depot
Como Gardens Black to Orange with Gold Vines and Orange Accents 18 x 18 Satin Pi
$129.95 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™