WANTED: Bamboo Swap in Seattle?

Tessinseattle(8)May 20, 2014

Anyone interested in a partial bamboo swap/trade in Seattle area? I have 16 large nursery pots (24 gallon) of mature Golden (at least 4 years old that have been split/repotted a year ago). I'm looking for something a bit more shade tolerant and preferably greener, like Temple Green bamboo. I prefer green to yellow, black, or red, though I'm flexible. My bamboo needs (feel free to chime in if you have a species you think would work for this scenario): I'm trying to screen out a 3-story apartment building on the western border of our property. I am a little apprehensive about the use of aggressive runner bamboo in an urban area (even w/ rhizome barrier) but I've researched my options online and it seems the only very tall clumpers (which thrive here) are Borinda Boliana, or Chusquea Gigantea. The B. Boliana I've heard might not over-winter well and possible isn't upright enough to act as a screen. I'm concerned about using a timber bamboo like C. Gigantea since I'm not sure how manageable that size would be in our 5K sf lot. I'm looking for something w/ a very upright habit (maybe Semiarundinaria fastuosa viridis, green temple bamboo) and maximum screening capabilities that will reach a height of at least 25'. Any recommendation for good bamboo screens would be very much appreciated. FYI: this bamboo would only have direct sunlight in the morning as the western apartment building would block afternoon sun. The soil is on the rich, loose side, though I'm not sure of its acidity.
Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chrisware(5-6 wv)

My green literally grows in the woods. I was worried that it had too much shade because for four or five years it just sat, growing very little. Well, I think it was just building a root system, because it is running like crazy now. Wow!

One thing about bamboo.... You really can't ship it well. Hope you find some close to you.

Good luck,
Chris

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 9:11PM
More Discussions
Want BRUGS cuttings in April or May........
Any one have Brugs cuttings to share in April or may?...
racetowin
Trade
I am looking for jasmine cuttings, rooted rose cuttings...
guinnevtra
HAVE CRINUM LILY
I have some extra CRINUM lilies, I would like to trade...
mamcc2
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap Portland, OR area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
HAVE: Monstera deliciosa albo variegata
I have rooted cuttings of Monstera deliciosa albo variegata....
antbeez6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™