Screws for IPE Decking

fruit_treeApril 8, 2010

First time on this site, so apologies for any mistakes....

I'm about to purchase everything I need for my IPE decking plans, and was shocked when I worked out I would need almost 1500 stainless steel screws, at a cost of £200, for my 30m square deck. Taking in to consideration the IPE planks are 19mm thick x 90mm wide, could I get away with just the single screw across the width, as opposed to the usual 2, thus saving me £100????

Any help would be most welcome.............Bye for now

Jon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
inkognito

No, is the answer to the 2 screw suggestion and you need to pre drill the holes. You could use hidden fasteners but that is a lot more work and costs even more than the screws. There must be some reason why you chose this particular timber so if you want to go with it you have to use ss screws. Obviously a stained softwood would be cheaper and you could use ceramic covered deck screws (no pre drilling) but the appearance will suffer, you have to decide how important it is to use ipe.

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 2:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gaviota_gal(z10/So.CA)

I just wanted to chime in here on one thing. I don't know about the screws or decking but I have had a lot of experience with ipe wood. We have a very large, custom firepit seating made of ipe and about ten pieces of garden furniture made of ipe. It is as strong and wonderful as they say, but, it silvers (color) more quickly than teak and to keep the beautiful, warm brown color which I love, you need to oil it about three times a year. That is simple and so rewarding. Go for it. Spend the money and have it for many, many years.

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 12:55PM
More Discussions
Need landscaping ideas for new home please
Hello everyone. We moved into our new build in November....
chloenkitty
Plantings for Driveway/Walkway Design
We would like to pave the driveway. (I hope I am in...
doggonedeb
Need help with landscaping my front hillside
I need some help with landscaping my front hillside....
dabeevm25
Privacy Trees For Zone 5 (US)
We live in zone 5 on approx a 1 acre lot. Our neighbors...
pinball01
Sponsored Products
Bathcock Couplings
Signature Hardware
BEGA | LED Garden Luminaire - 5005
$235.00 | YLighting
Moonrays Flood Lights. Outdoor Black Low Voltage 20-Watt Metal Adjustable Floodl
$11.66 | Home Depot
Tacoma 105 PowerLED 4" Bi-Color Steel LED Marine Light
Lamps Plus
Radial Galvanized 16-Inch Outdoor Pendant with White Cord
$135.95 | Bellacor
Wood Made Tri-Leg Wall Sconce
ParrotUncle
GlideRite 22-inch Stainless Steel Finish Cabinet Bar Pulls (Case of 25)
Overstock.com
Robe Hook Single Towel Holder Wall Mounted Fitting - Chrome Finish
Hudson Reed
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™