Need help with porch planting/wind control

sujiwan_gwApril 10, 2009

We have been rebuilding the porch at our farmhouse. The western gable end of the house was planted with two (giant) arborvitae on either side of the chimney. These trees were planted within a few feet of the foundation and had gotten large enough to interfere with exterior wires, cause problems with the porch roof and totally block the house windows on one side of the chimney. When it became necessary to take the porch side tree down it opened up a heretofore hidden great view but OMG the wind has already taken 5 shutters off the front of the house! I hesitate to think what the additional factors will be once the second one is removed!

Now I'm faced with a quandry--I obviously need some sort of wind screen but it can't be of a height that interferes with windows and porch maintenance. To the west of this same area, about 25-30 feet out are a pin oak and green ash (@35 years old) and lawn in between to get to the rear wing of the house. (I planted a windbreak behind the house to the N and W but I never dreamed I would need to keep going along the western edge near these deciduous trees to protect the front porch!)

The other factor is that it would be awfully nice to keep the new view at the same time we figure to the best wind screen!

Any suggestions for clusters of shrubs/trees/trellis etc and how one would situate them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

I would vote for a trellis situation, say an open trellis that has sturdy slats spaced tightly or loosely as needed to buffer the wind. It would allow the view to remain and eliminate the need for anything other than a complementary foundation planting.

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 3:10PM
More Discussions
Layout for backyard near house - suggestions
We are wanting to improve on our backyard and create...
lyfia
Women Landscapers?
I am one. Any others out there? Do you hire women workers? If...
lifeflower123
Ditched my landscaper - yellow pine choice
Going to my local Camellia expert's nursery and just...
Bama_Joe
Where can I find buyers for these large boulders?
Hi we are thinking to re-landscape our yard. The previous...
fggirl
Where to find 3/8" minus gravel in NY/NJ??
Our community garden is planning to rehabilitate our...
heavens123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™