Minnesota - pine bark fines

tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)May 1, 2012

Anyone near Brainerd, MN have a source for a PBF product suitable for 5:1:1 or gritty mix?

Al

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mantorvillain(z4bMN Dodge)

I don't know about way up north, but Gertens in the Twin Cities has finely ground bark (haven't opened the bag yet but it looks pretty fine. Menards down in Rochester had small pine bark nuggets but they're still too large and will have to go through the shredder.
I plan to sieve the ground bark using 1/2 inch mesh and 'shred' what's too large in hopes of reducing it.

If you haven't, you might want to post this on the Minnesota Gardening forum to find someone further up.
Will

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 4:27PM
naturemitch(3/4 WI)

Check out your Kmarts. I have been having excellent luck finding bark at them throughout WI and the U.P.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 3:38PM
wndy_gardenweb(USDA z4b)

Ooh! I have had trouble finding PBF, thank you so much for answering Mantor--I'll look them up. Have only been to Home Depot & Bachmans so far and no luck. I picked up a MG "orchid mix" (basically large pieces of shredded bark) to make do, but I think a trip to this Gertens store is in my future :-)

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 5:43PM
Donnie_Mac(Ks 6A)

Al,

Orchid Web / Orchids Limited according to their web site has both Orchiata and Rexius.

4630 Fernbrook Lane N. Plymouth MN 55446 U.S.A.
1-800-669-6006 1-763-559-6425

They are a bit pricey. It would be a couple hours drive. Twenty bags with careful placement will fit in a small pickup.

I was planning to drive there to get some until I found a wholesaler much closer that would sell to me.

Hope this helps.

Donnie Mac

Here is a link that might be useful: Orchids Limited

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 2:14PM
wndy_gardenweb(USDA z4b)

Finally went to Gertens yesterday (they're on the other side of the Twin Cities from me) and picked up 2 HUGE bags of "mini nuggets" for $5.something each. They look to be PBF or close enough.

Today I am returning to Petco to return the $25 reptiBark I bought yesterday. I went to Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, Walmart and Petco looking for 1-1-1- supplies.

Gertens did not have any crushed stone for the mix though, in case anyone was curious. Napa Auto had the DE (turface sub) though.

Today I will hunt down some poultry grit for the final ingredient... thanks everyone for being so helpful here!

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 1:05PM
More Discussions
Buckeye re-potting - Trees in Containers (pics)
Hello and good afternoon, container gardeners! California...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
RE: Introductory post-C.S-W.M&RXXI 1-27-15
Hi everyone, In my very 1st post, I described how by...
halocline
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™