Corner White Picket Fence ideas

annainva(z7 MD)April 1, 2009

We have a large flat front yard and I want to make a focal point. Thought I would do a corner picket fence at the corner of the walkway leading to the front door and the driveway. In addition, I thought it would be nice to include a (faux) mailbox which would serve as a planter.

My question: Should I erect the mailbox post behind the corner post of the fence, or in front ? I would also plant some lower roses or other bright flowers.

Thank you for your ideas.

Anna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nycynthias(Z6 NY)

Since it's a faux mailbox and doesn't need to meet postal code, how about mounting it actually ON the corner post? I think that would look cleaner than having a second post near the corner of the picket fence.
Or, for an alternate idea, how about a cute birdhouse mounted on the post instead?
If you do decide to do the faux mailbox thing, just make sure to check with your postmaster first because there are regulations about what you can and can't do with mailbox-like items. (I know it seems silly, but we actually had to move our mailbox because it was 1.5' too far from the street)

Bookmark   April 1, 2009 at 2:34PM
srd44_att_net

I have a wooden white picket fence in the corner of the front yard by the driveway. It is too plain. I need something to "add" to it for color and interest. What are your ideas?
Thanks....

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 4:41PM
inkognito

Would a window box look good, you could paint it a contrasting color like black so that it would look just as goo in winter.

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 5:19PM
duluthinbloomz4

You know a window box doesn't solve design problems, Ink, but big, bold house numbers might. Although I prefer house numbers spray painted on a boulder. Sometimes gypsies will do that for you.

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 5:29PM
More Discussions
Need help with landscaping my front hillside
I need some help with landscaping my front hillside....
dabeevm25
Landscape Advice Needed | New Homeowners
We just purchased our first home in the southeast and...
Sarah Bain
Need landscaping ideas for new home please
Hello everyone. We moved into our new build in November....
chloenkitty
Need help design patio & location of tree
The backyard of my future home (yet to be completed)...
Late Sound
Plantings for Driveway/Walkway Design
We would like to pave the driveway. (I hope I am in...
doggonedeb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™