Can I plant two bell peppers in one 5 gal bucket?

RemodellerMay 9, 2013

From what I have been reading Bell Peppers do better in groups or at least pairs with some of the leaves touching, so I was originally just going to plant one in a globalbucket- now Im thinking I should do at least two- do I need a second globalbucket set up?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

2 is pushing it. I tend to overcrowd a bit, and even I will only put 1 per 5 gallon bucket. You don't need 2 though. I usually only grow 1 and it does fine.......self pollinating.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 10:39PM
Remodeller

Thanks for the info! I read a couple times on various gardening blogs/sites that Bell Peppers like to "hold hands"- meaning they do better if some of the leaves are touching- so maybe I missunderstood that- maybe that was advice if you had to grow more one plant, not saying you should grow more than one plant

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 11:37PM
woohooman

I disagree that planting 2 or more is a good thing. I've been growing peppers for quite a few years and last year bought some transplants with a few that had 2 in each cell. Rather than culling the weaker ones, I decided to let them grow as is. Even in the GROUND, I noticed the peppers off those were much small than the ones that I planted singularly.

Regarding container size, most people will tell you that 5 gal is sufficient for peppers, but I've noticed a tad bigger would probably be best(7-10 gal), especially if you have a long growing season.

Kevin

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 6:15PM
onafixedincome(z8-9 CA)

No huge surprise there; when you have multiple starts in a cell, you get a lot of root encirclement/entanglement that never really 'fixes' unless you separate the starts and the other plant's roots decay to get out of the way....

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 2:57AM
More Discussions
gritty mix modification question
Sorry, I had a response to this question before but...
briana_2006
CRF burn if 5-1-1 sits a while?
I have some 5-1-1 that was fully made, including CRF...
hairmetal4ever
fertilizing cuttings ?
Hello - I have some fig cuttings in 60% perlite/40%...
briana_2006
Wicking more water retentive soils
I was wondering what the disadvantages are when using...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Sponsored Products
Finesse Highback Office Chair in Brown
$219.00 | LexMod
Coaster Game Table 100201
Beyond Stores
Sisal Army Green Grasscloth Wallpaper R1964
Walls Republic
Adjustable Wooden Floor Lamp with Cone-shaped Shade
ParrotUncle
Slumber Solutions Gel Big Bump 2-inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Overstock.com