Can I plant two bell peppers in one 5 gal bucket?

RemodellerMay 9, 2013

From what I have been reading Bell Peppers do better in groups or at least pairs with some of the leaves touching, so I was originally just going to plant one in a globalbucket- now Im thinking I should do at least two- do I need a second globalbucket set up?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

2 is pushing it. I tend to overcrowd a bit, and even I will only put 1 per 5 gallon bucket. You don't need 2 though. I usually only grow 1 and it does fine.......self pollinating.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 10:39PM
Remodeller

Thanks for the info! I read a couple times on various gardening blogs/sites that Bell Peppers like to "hold hands"- meaning they do better if some of the leaves are touching- so maybe I missunderstood that- maybe that was advice if you had to grow more one plant, not saying you should grow more than one plant

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 11:37PM
woohooman

I disagree that planting 2 or more is a good thing. I've been growing peppers for quite a few years and last year bought some transplants with a few that had 2 in each cell. Rather than culling the weaker ones, I decided to let them grow as is. Even in the GROUND, I noticed the peppers off those were much small than the ones that I planted singularly.

Regarding container size, most people will tell you that 5 gal is sufficient for peppers, but I've noticed a tad bigger would probably be best(7-10 gal), especially if you have a long growing season.

Kevin

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 6:15PM
onafixedincome(z8-9 CA)

No huge surprise there; when you have multiple starts in a cell, you get a lot of root encirclement/entanglement that never really 'fixes' unless you separate the starts and the other plant's roots decay to get out of the way....

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 2:57AM
More Discussions
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
511 mix
I'm having a hard time understanding the 511 mix.I...
Monzi zone 8a South Carolina
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
What's eating/happening to my bougainvillea?!?!?!
The leaves are being scaled and then turing brown with...
ninetyfivem3
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™