3-2-1 mix as cheaply as possible

PatataBravaMay 31, 2013

Hi, I'm going to be using raybo's 3:2:1 mix for some 5 gallon SWC's this summer.

I'd like to save as much money as possible, and the Miracle Gro Potting Mix required for the recipe is a bit expensive ($7.00 / cf).

How can I go about mixing my own substitute for the MG potting mix?

I've looked through these forums but haven't found a solution.

Also, are other brands of potting mix acceptable?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rnewste(8b NorCal)

Other brands will work fine such as Sta-Green. Just make sure you buy potting Mix - not potting soil.

Here is what you can expect if you follow the Guide:

Raybo

Bookmark   May 31, 2013 at 11:48PM
chilliwin(EU DK 7)

Rnewste: Your plants are very nice so I believe you have done something pretty well.
I hope you are also one of the senior members of this forum so I am willing to learn something from you. I was a new windowsill gardener now I am a container gardener.

My English is not so good so please try to understand what I am telling you and if you found some impolite way of approach or questions or expression please forgive me for the possible mistakes, now and in the future.

I am sorry for these questions. What do you meant by âÂÂfollow the GuideâÂÂ? Are those potting mix give some guideline for preparation? I do not know RayboâÂÂs 3:2:1 too. Could you please explain to me about this RayboâÂÂs 3:2:1 or give me a link if possible? I am very curious about the components of this recipe.

Due to the climatic condition here some of the soil recipes are not very effective to my plants. Since last winter I have been trying to learn some good potting soil recipes. From my experiences the soil and the container type and size gives better or worse to my plants. Now I made some soil recipe I called it 3:2:1 : 3 parts pine bark fine, 2 parts peat moss potting soil and 1 part perlite/cat litter. The result is pretty good and the plants have grown very well. I would like to replace perlite by cat litter (Diatomaceous earth). I do not know the function of Diatomaceous earth/cat litter and perlite are same or not, only I knew that perlite is good for soil aeration. I use cat litter for mulch and the plants have grown roots in the mulch so I think the the roots like cat litter. Perlite is not easy to find here, none of our super markets and garden centers are not selling perlite except some cannabis growers and online shops that also extremely expensive and the size of the perlite are also very small.

I have grown super hot chilies and now I expanded my container gardening to other vegetables, fruits and trees. One of our forum members said he would like to grow everything, thatâÂÂs true I have the same feeling now.

I have grown some stem cabbage and tomatoes too they like 3:2:1.

Thanks

Caelian

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 9:16AM
rnewste(8b NorCal)

Here is a link to the EarthTainer Guide with grow media recommendations:

http://earthtainer.tomatofest.com/pdfs/EarthTainer-Construction-Guide.pdf

Photos today

Raybo

Here is a link that might be useful: EarthTainer Guide

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 1:59PM
chilliwin(EU DK 7)

Hi Raybo, thank you for the link and your wonderful pictures.

Regards,
Caelian

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 4:48PM
chilliwin(EU DK 7)

Sir Raybo,
I do not know how to thank you, you gave me the key to learn gardening. I found most of the information I am looking for from the link you provided me.

Thank you sir for your time and contribution in this forum.

Regards,
Caelian

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 5:35PM
PatataBrava

Thanks Raybo, your pictures and dedication are inspiring!

I'll look for the Sta-Green, etc., but let's say that I wanted to make my own potting mix from basic components such as sphagnum peat moss, etc. Do you have any recommendations or ideas as to a good ratio for homemade potting mix?

Thanks!

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 9:58PM
chilliwin(EU DK 7)

Good luck, PatataBrava.

Caelian

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 3:19AM
More Discussions
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™