what size containers for pepper plants

michelelcMay 25, 2010

Hi,

I have decided to grow my peppers in containers this year. They did very poorly last year in the garden. I am unsure of the size container I should use. I am growing italian bell peppers, jalapeno peppers and poblano peppers. I was thinking 12" pots for the bell peppers and poblanos, and maybe something a little smaller for the jalepenos? Also, can I put more than one jalepeno plant in the same pot? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Michele

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

I have grown in as small as three gallons with good results .One plant per pot . Peppers cross breed easily ,so if you plan to save seed keep species separated .

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 5:04AM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

I don't have Bell peppers, but my in-ground, 4 year old jalapeno is 4.5 feet high. They will grow big, so if you want them to stay small, then I say small pots, and I agree. One per pot.

I have a couple (grown from seed) Greek peperoncini plants, and after one year they are still about 6" tall in the ground. They do bear peppers!! Lots of peppers!

Suzi

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 9:49AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I agree with the others: one plant per pot.

My friends generally grow in 2 - 3 gallon containers. This size is especially good
for the smaller, more ornamental peppers - like Thai chilis, for example. My brother
grew a Thai chili in a 5-gallon container last year, and it out-performed the peppers
in the smaller containers.

I grew a Japanese Red Pepper in a .71 gallon container last year -
it was given to me in August (by a friend who discovered the joy of peppers late in the season),
and I harvested some very bland pods at Christmas-time. It worked, but not well...
and the crop consisted of 17 pods, only half of which were edible.

Josh

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 10:14AM
More Discussions
My New Raised Container Garden - Thanks for all the Help
This is really more of a conversational post. No real...
Cliff Pruitt
I have a cold, south facing porch. What container flowers might grow?
It's cold there now. In a few weeks nothing will free...
Blue Hills Gardens and Designs
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
George Spector
What is wrong with my Blueberry plant?
Hi, My blueberry (rabbiteye) plant seems to have developed...
bopwinter
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™