Earthbox or Earthtainer + 5-1-1 - Do I add the additional Lime?

redshirtcat(6a MO StL)May 17, 2011

Al (or anyone with experience here?) I saw in a few very old posts that you suggested a 3-1-1 mix for SWC like the Earthbox or Earthtainer.

I've become quite comfortable making and using the 5-1-1 (thanks for all the help there, I have maybe 60 containers using 5-1-1 very well right now) - but I haven't tried any SWCs yet.

I made up a batch of 3-1-1 with 1 cup of lime (the usual rate for my batch size). My question is this: the Earthbox instructions say to take whatever potting mix we buy and add a large bag of (included) lime to it. Do you think this is necessary given that I've already added the usual amount?

I understand that you might not be an earthbox expert but can you see any reason why I might need more lime in this situation? Or do we think they are just assuming that most potting mixes do not include lime?

They also include a bag of fertilizer that they suggest we use in a "strip." I will probably use the strip in at least one earthbox to see how it goes - but can you see any reason why I shouldn't add my usual light dose of FP once or twice a week? Might it not work as well in an SWC/wicking situation?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rnewste(8b NorCal)

red,

I would follow the EarthBox instructions for that product faithfully. They have done a lot of research on the Lime and Fertilizer amounts and placement within their product.

Regarding the EarthTainer, I did trials with over 30 combinations of ingredients and I found for most vegetables, I got the best results with a 3:2:1 ratio of Potting Mix, Microbark, and Perlite.

Keep in mind that the wicking requirements for the SWC to operate properly (without any top-watering) require a higher amount of peat versus traditional containers where the 5:1:1 mix works well.

Raybo

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 10:52PM
redshirtcat(6a MO StL)

Thanks Raybo! I didn't realize you were on this forum. I haven't paid much attention to SWCs until recently. As soon as I pickup the netpots tomorrow I will be building my first 2 Earthtainers in addition to the 2 earthboxes I'm trying. I will use the 3:2:1 in one of them as you suggest (with Pro Mix BX).

The Pro Mix is 85% peat which means that when mixed as you suggest the overall ratio should be something like:
42% peat, 33% pine bark, 24% perlite (assuming most of the the remaining 15% of the Pro Mix is Perlite, which is probably a bad assumption).

So if I want to build my own in the future it's something like 4:3:2 (peat, pine bark, perlite)?

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 11:58PM
rnewste(8b NorCal)

red,

As Pro-Mix BX contains approx 14% Perlite as opposed to very little in Miracle-Gro, I would go with a 3:2:0.75 combo Mix, backing off a bit on adding new Perlite. This should give you a pretty good Combo Mix.

I use Sunshine Mix #4 myself as it is much cheaper than the equally good Pro-Mix, and use this recommended ratio.

Raybo

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 12:30AM
More Discussions
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™