soil mix for potatoes

emorems0(PA - 6a)May 1, 2014

I'm planting a potato bin of sorts (just an oval of chicken wire, with straw around the edges to keep the soil contained within the 'bin'), but I'm having a hard time deciding what to fill it with. I've seen so many different suggestions on GW and throughout the web. I know it needs to drain well and be light/fluffy/not compacted, but I'd love to hear a tried and true 'mix' with proportions.

I'm thinking some combination of topsoil, peat moss, pine bark mulch (as in 5-1-1), mushroom compost - or skip the compost and just use some of the DynamitePlus CRF that I have here from my 5-1-1 mix.

Also, how thick a layer of soil mix should be placed down below the seed potatoes? 6"? 12"?

*I'm using sprouted, organic red potatoes from the grocery store as my seed potatoes if that makes any difference on depth, etc.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johns.coastal.patio(USDA 10b, Sunset 24)

If it is open on the bottom, it is a little more a raise bed than a container, which I think means you can be more flexible, creative. Your own mixture of soil and compost, or a planting mix, or a garden soil, etc.

FWIW, I just watched and liked this video on more isolated big grow bags, and you'll see the University of Illinois Extension recommending a soil, compost, sand mix. (probably 1:1:1)

(I think I'm planning the cheap plastic grow bags, commercial style, for my next year's garden.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Grow Bags: An Alternative to In-Ground Gardening

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 11:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johns.coastal.patio(USDA 10b, Sunset 24)

Here is another video on potato in a wire tower. Lots of similar out there, search "potato tower"

Here is a link that might be useful: Taters in a Cage

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 12:09AM
More Discussions
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
Florida Native
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Small container producing good?
hi.. my experiments with potted plants Fertilizers...
amriteanukul112
Banana plant in grow bag
hi .. potted this tree last month and it has survived...
amriteanukul112
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™