How to fix DH's work?

2ajsmamaApril 7, 2014

My DH decided to help me this weekend by putting up the deer/rabbit netting around the garden. We have permanently-installed T-posts that we extend with UV-resistant ENT (attached with cable ties) to support the 7ft tall netting.

What I didn't realize (even though I walked past the big pile of dirt in front of the compost bin and wondered where that came from) was that he was trenching around 3 sides (left the south side where my strawberries were creeping out of their bed and into veggie beds inside fence). He filled the trenches with bark mulch and tried to use landscape pegs as usual to secure the bottom of the netting but they're pulling right out.

We can lower the netting so to extend the bottom over onto solid ground to pin the edge down and keep the critters out, but I'm concerned that the trench will fill with water and become a breeding ground for mosquitos. Or will the bark mulch discourage them from laying eggs?

We're supposed to get 1" of rain tonight and more tomorrow so I can hopefully point out the problem and not seem like I'm being unreasonable, but should we backfill with the dirt he just dug out (will still be soft and maybe a bit of a bathtub effect but won't encourage mosquitos), or just extend the trench to the lowest corner and drain it into the (already swampy part of) the back yard where he's tried to cut a swale running downhill into the woods?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marti8a

What is the purpose of the trench? If to keep the rabbits from tunneling under, I don't know why you can't just put the dirt back in the trench on top of the netting.

With our garden and very determined rabbits, squirrels, and my cat, we used chicken wire and t-posts and folded it at the ground so 3' up was fence and 1' along the ground. I put 12" concrete pavers on top of the wire on the ground both as a weed barrier space and to keep the animals from digging under. I left it kind of loose to keep the cat from climbing over. If any animals ever got in, I never saw them.

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 12:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
2ajsmama

He didn't bury the bottom edge of the netting (which we take down every fall anyway, it's just plastic) so best I can think of is that he thought it would keep weeds from creeping in the sides? But don't think we need 6" deep x 4" wide trench filled with bark mulch (that is going to decompose esp. with all the rain we're getting this week) to do that.

I haven't checked it after yesterday's rain but we've gotten not quite an inch in the past 2 days.

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 6:55AM
More Discussions
Front yard design help
Looking to finally put some plants in the front yard....
Matt Johnston
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
tall hedge or tress for privacy screen.
I have posted this before in older forums. Not able...
ritholtz47
Landscaping ideas - Need help with suggestions of plants please
We would like to seek help in filling our concrete...
stinerantsen
Rock landscape dilema
Hello, So I'm taking on a big project within the next...
johncharles1923
Sponsored Products
Boulevard Wall Sconce
$116.10 | Bellacor
'That's How Strong My Love Is' Wrapped Canvas
$11.99 | zulily
Sunny Peaks Throw
$129.99 | Dot & Bo
Safavieh Courtyard CY0727-3707 7'10" Square Pink Rug
$214.76 | PlushRugs
Charles Grande Ottoman in White
$229.00 | LexMod
Octagonal Maze Flatweave Rug 11'6" x 14'6" - PINK
$2,199.00 | Horchow
Fresca Torino 24" Light Oak Modern Bathroom Vanity with Vessel Sink and Mirror
Modern Bathroom
Safavieh Poolside Beige/Dark Beige Round Diamond Bordered Indoor/Outdoor Rug (8'
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™