Dwarf Tomato Containers? And other stuff...

cakefarm(7B)May 1, 2012

I have never grown dwarfs and now I have three (sleeping lady, red robin and summertime green). I read online that they can be grown in 2 gallon containers but that seems terribly small. What size container should I grow them in?

Also, I have a Mexico midget that I'm debating on growing in a container - can anyone recommend a size? I am a bit of a novice when it comes to containers though I've been doing it (in addition to in-ground gardening) for a few years. I have my soil (Al's) and my fertilizer (Osmocote slow release) down but other than that, I am clueless. How often do I fertilize?

I have some peppers too, hot and sweet - can I grow them in 2 gallon pots? What size would you recommend? And eggplants?

I am a student and have a lot of time so constant watering is not an issue.

Here are all my questions for ease of answering (and THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU in advance!):

1. What size containers should I grow dwarf tomatoes in?

2. What size container would you recommend for full-size indeterminate tomatoes?

3. What size containers would you recommend for sweet (bell) peppers?

4. What size containers would you recommend for hot peppers?

5. What size containers would you recommend for eggplants (Casper, black beauty)?

6. After the initial application of slow release fertilizer (Osmocote), how often should I fertilize and how?

Thank you so much, again. I looked through the FAQs but didn't find anything on dwarfs and then figured I'd just assault you with all my questions at once.

THANK YOU!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cakefarm(7B)

That is helpful - thank you Missouri.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 10:03AM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I generally agree about pot size, although I would put it a different way: minimum 5 gallon pot for dwarf tomatoes; 5-10 gallons for peppers; 15-20 gallons for eggplants; and 15-25 gallons for indeterminate tomatoes.

But I don't think the article at that link is helpful for container plants. It refers to soil in the ground. You'd be better off following Al's advice in the link below. I plant my fruiting vegetables in 5-1-1 mix with osmocote in the mix and start fertilizing 2-4 weeks later or when they are starting to produce with Foliage Pro or Miracle Gro 24-8-16 every two weeks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fertilizing containerized plants

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 1:37PM
cakefarm(7B)

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you Ohio! (Again.) I think better in gallons, too. :)

And thank you so much for the fertilizer link - I knew I'd seen Al post it somewhere.

It is a scorcher today... I'm thinking that I am making a good decision with the containers this year. Al's mix is light enough that I can easily move my plants into some shade on days like this!

Thank you again!

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 1:49PM
More Discussions
Transplanting between containers
I'm looking for a rule of thumb for proper transplanting,...
cakbu z9 CA
RE: Brush Cherry ( Josh? )
Hi Josh, I thought I would get this off of Al's thread...
halocline
container mixture
hi, Can someone give tips on how to choose composting...
s501nano
anything you wanted to talk about vii - prolly mostly ot
I guess I didn't realize the last thread was about...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
What to plant in 4 1/4 Gallon Food Grade Buckets?
I was recently given about 20 4 1/4 gallon food grade...
MikeinPA_Zone5b
Sponsored Products
Industrial Rectangular Stainless Steel Sink
PLFixtures
New Stunning Royal Blue Geometric Balouch Runner 3x9 Hand Knotted Wool Rug P840
BH Sun Inc
DUO Toilet Paper Holder by Blomus
$28.79 | Lumens
Luigi Bormioli Michelangelo 9 oz. Martini Glass - Set of 4 - C285K
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Ivy Terrace Chairs Classics White Patio Bar Arm Chair IVTD212WH
Home Depot