Reading the dowel--perched water table

marc5(6aOH)May 1, 2013

I am new to 5-1-1 and "reading" the dowel to determine when to water. I have hundreds of trees newly potted in 1-gallon containers, so I am obviously very concerned about getting this right. When using the dowel method (I'm using a bamboo skewer), the bottom half or third of the container is damp, but the upper area is dry. The surface of the 5-1-1 looks very dry. Is this evidence of a perched water table? I thought that 5-1-1 was supposed to prevent that. Since my newly-potted trees have roots extending to only a shallow depth, I will interpret this as a time to water. However, could someone explain how the dowel and the perched water table are related?

Thanks,
Marc

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

If the mix drains well enough there will be very little perched water. If there is a little perched water and the rest of the medium is dry, I would probably have to water. If you made the 511 correctly there is probably no perched water, or very little anyway. If you have shallow roots that's probably why the top is drying out faster. That's the beauty of the 511.......almost no chance of overwatering. When in doubt water.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 1:35PM
queensinfo

i find i sometimes have to water more often than i would think based on the wetness of the dowel. i noticed that a newer plant was starting to wilt a little, which was a good clue. It is a newer plant in a big pot so i think the roots aren't yet at the bottom layer that is more damp. The top tends to dry out quick when they are out in the sun.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 10:45AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

The 5-1-1 is designed to hold some moisture - so, yes, there will be some perched water. With recent transplants, you do need to water more often while the roots re-establish themselves. As the mix ages, it will dry more uniformly from top to bottom.

Josh

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 7:21PM
More Discussions
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Making my garden easy care
I need an easy are garden. Because of ill health ,...
Carry2
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
George Spector
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™