Help! Need to Update Exterior!

AmyESLPApril 25, 2014

Hi! We are wanting to update the exterior of our house. The front door definitely needs new paint but should we go with black or red? New lights? Should we add decorative shutters? What about the landscape? I think the bushes need a trim but how much? Thank you for your time! :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

At this stage, you couldn't see decorative shutters. And I venture most people would go for a red door. As for lighting - always a personal choice when there's so much to choose from in keeping with the style of your house.

Trim down the hedge on the right at least a foot; perhaps 18". Unless you're thinking of taking them out altogether, having them squared off is okay for this particular application. Might be my own personal bias, but I don't mind a neatly trimmed appropriate height hedge.

Eliminate the ball shrub altogether; cut it down to the ground and dig or hack out as much of the stump and underground roots as possible.

I'm torn on the red tree; it's too big for the space and probably slaps against the house. A good arborist could give you options for a professional cutting or trimming back - or even having it taken out.

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 2:49PM
yardvaark

could you please show a clear, sharp, close picture in good lighting of the round green shrub immediately right of door? ... Framed close while getting the entire shrub, top to bottom, in the pic. Also, give an indication of what is directly behind it on the house. Tell what kind of shrub it is.

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 9:56PM
emmarene

It looks like the hedge may have covered a mullioned window. I'd like to see that window. What is that flowering plant?

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 5:22PM
More Discussions
Landscape advice for front yard please!
We have just moved into a house in SoCal - zone 10...
glitzalicious
Privacy for Small Yard - Help!
Hi All! First time poster - LONG TIME reader! I'm in...
rsislow
Landscaping front yard, zone 5. HELP!!!! :)
We have recently done some work to our front yard (tearing...
midwestmelissa
Looking for front of house ideas
We recently moved into this house. It was a new construction...
jsandlin0803
Show Me Your Small Private Backyard Landscaping
Looking for picture-based examples of up to a 1/4 acre...
Bob Sislow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™