cocoa shells...

fireduck(10a)June 24, 2013

I bought a bag of cocoa shells a couple of weeks ago. I thought it might be good to add to my soil-less container mixes. Has anybody tried this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roxanna(z5b MA)

rather an expensive use of cocoa shells! i have used them as mulch for many years, and have added spoiled forgotten bags of them to my compost. since they do break down nicely over time, i suppose adding them to container mix might work fine. i have not done that directly, tho, so someone else may have advice for you!

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 10:54AM
mea2214(z5 Chicago)

I tried this once in one of my large containers > 10 cu. ft. I usually let mix settle for a day before planting seeds or seedlings. When I went out to plant the next day the container felt hot. It got hotter the further down I stuck my hand. Ended up dumping the entire mix and redoing it. I think I made a post here about it many years ago. I'm usually a sucker for sales and bags of cocoa shells were at get rid of prices so I experimented. I don't think anything would have grown in that container with cocoa shell mix.

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 8:07PM
fireduck(10a)

I am keeping it in the bag....for now. It seemed like it might be a great thing for containers...but having my doubts.

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 9:09PM
More Discussions
Making my garden easy care
I need an easy are garden. Because of ill health ,...
Carry2
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Why can't I grow vigna caracalla? Can you?
Hi Everyone I'm in z11 and took a while to get my hands...
rexedwardfairy
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™