Yard Drainage Help

bline22April 7, 2010


I have some poor drainage in the back corner of my yard. The new house to my east is going to be pushing further water towards me so I can expect a good chunk of my yard to be under water. Also, in the back corner where most of the water goes, adjoining it is a holding pond for storm sewer overage. there is a gravel road that runs on he south side of my lot that allows access to this pond. The city said that if i wanted I could dig a trench to bury some pipe to have it drain there if i wanted.

I have the trench dug so need to bury some pipe. My questions are:

Should use burried drain tile in hopes the water will run through the soil an into the drain tile and then away from my yard? Do i need a drain at ground level to make this work?

With that gravel road back there, should i put down PVC from the back of my yard to the pond to make sure that if there are trucks coming in back there and driving on the road that the pipe will hold up to any traffic and not crumple making this worthless?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If this is going under a road I would think you need a culvert. If it is a public road the city should pay for it.

I don't think either a clay or PVC pipe would stand up to truck traffic. If there were a culvert you could use PVC up to the road and have it drain into the culvert.

If the city won't pay for the culvert I'd run it to the road and let it drain there. Then let the city deal with it. At least it would be away from your property.

An alternative would be to install a dry well

    Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 3:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks for the reply.

No, the city wont pay for it unfortunately and to run it to the road would be difficult. where the water sits is the furthest point from my lot to the road.

I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but when I said trucks I guess i meant maybe a pickup is all. It is very rare anyone drives back there but even so, i will not be a happy camper if the next time it happens the thing collapses.

How does a dry well work? We have a lot of clay around our area. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

    Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 4:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tibs(5/6 OH)

The city may not pay for it, but I bet they will want you to insatll in to their specs where it goes under their road. Maybe you could buy the matierals and they would install it? Drainage is a very tricky issue. I would reccomment and engineer to do it up right.

    Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 9:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You'd get more info if you googled dry well. What it basically is is a storage tank for water that is gradually leached out. It has been used for ages to control wet areas

    Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 12:58AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Need help with landscaping my front hillside
I need some help with landscaping my front hillside....
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
On Site Calculations - Area
If you do construction as well as design, sooner or...
Help! My new front yard is UGLY! Any ideas appreciated!
Do I keep the stone flower bed edge? I was told it...
Landscape Advice Needed | New Homeowners
We just purchased our first home in the southeast and...
Sarah Bain
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™