How much dolomitic lime estimation

naikii(9a / 8b)June 18, 2013

Hi guys, im interested in an estimation of the amount of lime needed to add to my mix. For other batches I have added 3-4 handfuls. am worried its too much.

I am using approx. 60L pine bark fines, 50L coconut husk chips, 30L organic compost, maybe 10L of Peat and about 20L of perlite per batch. No particular reason for these numbers, I just like the look and consistency of the resulting mixture.

I tried straight 5-1-1 last season with only marginal success, attributed perhaps to pine bark fines being too small.

Tomorrow I intend to fill two half wine barrels with the above mixture (approximately) for semi dwarf cherries, and donâÂÂt wanna mess up by adding too much or too little lime.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

If I remember correctly it was blueberries that you had the most trouble with. Since they need special treatment and much lower pH than most plants, I don't see how we can answer your question without knowing what you intend to plant. It's also hard to determine the pH of your mix without knowing the pH of the compost. FWIW, I figure you have about 170L of mix which is about equal to 45 gallons US. If it was standard 5-1-1 and not being used for blueberries, I would tell you to add about 2/3L of dolomitic lime.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 12:03PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

1 tablespoon of lime per gallon of mix is the measure for making the standard 511 mix. For my blueberries I used no lime and they are growing like weeds.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 3:04PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I apologize Naikii. I missed your statement that you are wanting to grow dwarf cherry trees. From the little Googling I did, it appears that they prefer a pH of 6-6.5, like most plants. So you probably need about 45 Tablespoons, or 2/3 of a liter for those components.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:57PM
More Discussions
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Best glue for terracotta pots?
Yes I did. Left some of my pots outside and now they...
keepingon
anything you wanted to talk about vii - prolly mostly ot
I guess I didn't realize the last thread was about...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Miniature rose plant..
Got this from nursery yesterday .. But something is...
amriteanukul112
Culinary Herbs?
I need to buy some culinary herbs. Where is the best...
sharbear50
Sponsored Products
Lap Shelving Tall Frame Extension
Design Within Reach
Lime In Love Rug
$62.99 | Dot & Bo
Cardell Cabinets Norton 60 in. W x 21 in. D x 34.5 in. H Vanity Cabinet Only in
Home Depot
Ace Bayou Football Bean Bag Chair - 9662801
$40.00 | Hayneedle
Milson Lines Rug 5'9" x 8'9"
$1,149.00 | Horchow