couple questions using buckets/bins for peppers

mike2044(5)June 22, 2014

I have a few of these and just wanted to know if it would be best to bore holes in the bottom of them for drainage before filling them up and putting my peppers in them and if I should line them with anything or if the bare plastic is fine.

Other question is I have these big 18 gallon bins and wanted to know if it would be safe to put two plants in it. I'm growing bhut jolokias and habaneros (two of each) so you can know about what size those might be.

Tried searching around for answers and the best I've found is that I'd want about 17" depth or so for them, which is clearly covered here. I did find people growing them in buckets and that sort of thing and that's a whole lot cheaper than pots when you've got them laying around already.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Yes, you definitely want to drill drainage holes in the bottom.

Josh

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 2:31PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

I'm not familiar with those exact peppers, but I'd still guess 2 would be fine in an 18 gallon container, and possibly 3. Maybe someone can confirm this.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 3:00PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Oh, yeah, two plants would grow fine in a container that size. By the end of the season, they will be hanging all over each other ;-)

Josh

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 3:14PM
mike2044(5)

Thanks for the quick information on that. I actually just got done drilling holes in the containers and I think I might look at getting my soil in there with the plants tomorrow. I just wasn't sure if both would be fine in a big container like that or if I should just use one per because the jolokias might be too big and it'd be great to be able to have them all set up like that to be a bit mobile when necessary. This'll be my third attempt at this and I think I've finally got it figured out now lol.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 5:00PM
More Discussions
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
Florida Native
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™