privacy screens

candleinthewindApril 25, 2013

Love to sit on my patio during the warm months, however I hate looking at my neighbors above ground pool. I have cut out a 23 foot by 5 wide burm and planning on planting some arbor vitaes for my back row. I have bought 5, currently they are 5 feet. My question is, should I plant them in a straight line or stagger with the second and fourth planting be a little in front, instead of 5 in a straight row. Any suggestions?? I am planning on adding some plants in front of these arbor's come summer. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

What do you mean by "...second and fourth planting be a little in front..." I don't understand that question at all. Maybe you could show with a simple sketch what you are talking about.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 8:47PM
candleinthewind

Sorry. I can plant 5 arbors in a straight row. Or, I can move 2 up a little from the others. Kind of like a zig zag. Did that help?

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 10:25AM
patty_cakes

Makes sense to me, but I have a tendency to visualize everything before I do it, so no picture needed.

In answer to your question~I think it would be more esthetically pleasing if they were in a straight line. I seem to prefer only smaller plants usually in a flower bed done in a zig zag pattern.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 3:50PM
gardengal48

With the understanding that aesthetics are entirely in the eye of the beholder, I'm going to disagree :-) A staggered or uneven planting is going to be much more visually appealing. A row of plants always looks artificial - nothing grows ina straight row in nature - and with something large and evergreen like arborvitaes that translates to a green wall.

A privacy screen tends to be a less defined and more informal approach than a sculpted hedge or fence for privacy purposes. If you have the space, stagger the plants.

I seem to faintly recall something from my distant formal design education past that planting in rows was a distinct no-no.........unless you were creating a formal hedge :-)

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 4:08PM
yardvaark

I'm going to disagree with gardengal a bit. I don't think that emulating nature is always the goal in landscaping. Often it's creating something "architectural" out of plants. The plantings should fit the space and since I can't see it, I can't offer a preference. It's on you, Candle, to determine the best fit. It might be a single row or it might be the staggered double row. If you don't have room enough, the double row will not be the better choice.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 11:30PM
More Discussions
On Site Calculations - Area
If you do construction as well as design, sooner or...
pls8xx
Need landscape and hardscape plan for mediterranean style home
Remodeling home in RSF and need help with landscape...
nicolefrank
tall hedge or tress for privacy screen.
I have posted this before in older forums. Not able...
ritholtz47
Help for shade
I need some advice . I have recently moved into a house...
Chris Cousineau
Help with frontyard design changes
Hi, I’m in the process of replacing turf in my front...
quikslvr0017
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™