Corner flower bed

lovegardening84April 13, 2013

Hello
So I am creating a rather large raised CORNER cottage garden in my backyard up against my chain link fence this spring. The solution may be obvious, but how do I keep the dirt from spilling through!! I don't want to put something against the fence that will be an eyesore! Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

Why is it necessary for the bed to be raised if that causes grade problems with surrounding features? The plant material itself can/will give height to the bed.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 10:18AM
lovegardening84

Because it was a better option than trying to amend the rocky hard existing soil yardvaark

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 11:05PM
yardvaark

Hard, rocky soil can be the straw that broke the camel's back. It's likely that if you put something against the fence, it will be an eyesore. It would be better if you could back off from the fence some amount before you place whatever will retain the garden soil. How high are we needing to go? Can the soil be bermed so that it does not need a retainer, or add height at the fence itself? How large an area? Who owns fence ... you or neighbor?

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 11:39PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

I would take advantage of that hard rocky soil, and randomly pile rocks up against the fence for a more natural look, and then put the good dirt up against that.

Suzi

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 9:42AM
Marinewifenc

multi levels with a lower level stepping up to the fence so it stil looks pretty.

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 10:51AM
lovegardening84

Thanks for the good ideas ....Suzi I think I will do your rock idea...thats what the front of the border is... Don't know why I didn't think of continuing it!! Thanks!!

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 8:25PM
More Discussions
Need help building a retaining wall
Hi all this is my first post so I hope I can get some...
jeffboyardeee
Need dog fencing layout tips for homestead
We just bought a place on nearly 4 acres that has no...
tracefacemsu
Bed lines don't matter if....
They're covered in snow! It will be interesting to...
Bama_Joe
Front Yard Landscape Help! Zone 10a
We are looking to remodel the front of our home. We...
honesthouse
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™