How often to fertilize?

ms_minnamouse(7a)June 17, 2009

I have a wide variety of tropical/tender plants that I keep in pots that I put outdoors for the warm months. Sometimes it gets really hot here and I have to water every day. In this situation, how often would I fertilize? Twice a week? The types of plants don't matter, I just mean in general. I don't mean orchids and cacti either.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

How often you fertilize shouldn't be put to a schedule; rather, it should be on an 'as needed' basis. Frequency depends on the fertilizer you're using, what strength you fertilize at, what type of plant material you're fertilizing, ambient temperatures, how robustly the plant is growing, where the plant is in its growth cycle, and very importantly - how fast the soil is (how well it drains) and your watering habits.

I use a fast soil & the tropicals & houseplants I over-winter get fed a very small dose every time I water. I can do this because the soils I use are fery fast & I'm continually flushing fertilizer salts from the soil every time I water. In the summer, when all my plants are awake, there are too many to fertilize at every application, so I fertilize weekly (or every 2-3 weeks, depending on the conditions listed above) at doses much reduced from the suggested dosages on the label.

The shorter answer. Weakly weekly is a good policy.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Follow me for greater detail

Bookmark   June 17, 2009 at 7:45AM
More Discussions
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
Florida Native
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™