Front garden re-design help!

msjam2April 29, 2014

Hello!

I am hoping to re-do this front bed. I've had this dilemma now for a few months and can't make up my mind.

The bed is 10 ft wide so there's plenty of room.

I currently planted a nice Japanese maple (Sango Kaku) in the middle, right in front of the window.

I want to remove the boxwood. But not sure what to replace it with. I want conifers but this is a North facing bed, it gets hot afternoon sun in the summer from the west side.

Help!

Last summer

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
designoline6(Z6)

You could make larger the bed,the bed' side should be S shape fluid line.replace the plants.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 8:51PM
sc77

Sango Kaku is a very very cool and unique Japanese maple. The fire red bark makes it especially nice in winter. However, they get very big for a Japanese maple 15-20ft and nearly as wide in 10 years. You might want to consider moving that to the far left corner of the house or maybe even into the yard. If you like the look of Sango Kaku, Acer palmatum 'Beni kawa' gives that same nice bark, but much more dwarf growing to only about 7ft by 4ft in 10 years

For conifers, you will need to figure out exactly how much direct sun the spot gets. If it's over 2 hours of afternoon sun, I think you could try some really nice cultivars. You might consider:
- Sciadopitys verticillata 'Joe Kozy' (Japanese Umbrella Pine)
- Cephalotaxus harringtonia 'Fastigiata' (Japanese Plum Yew)
- Podocarpus macrophylla
- Thuja occidentalis 'Degroot's Spire'
- Cedrus deodara 'Karl Fuchs' - This could be a gamble, depending on how much sun you get. Cedrus is very popular in TX because it's extremly heat and drought tolerant, but does prefer a bit more sun... Might be worth a shot thought, because there are a lot of really nice cultivars in the Cedrus family.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 9:46PM
msjam2

Thanks a lot! I really like Degroot's Spire, I hope I can find them around here.

Here's a pic from my car this morning, the bed is S shape. I have several roses and daylilies in that bed that I'd like to keep. My biggest dilemma is the back side of the bed. I have no clue what to plant.

This post was edited by msjam2 on Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 10:03

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 10:02AM
More Discussions
Need help building a retaining wall
Hi all this is my first post so I hope I can get some...
jeffboyardeee
Need privacy in backyard on three sides (zone 6)
I really like my neighbors but I live in the suburbs...
stlmom77
adding curb appeal to our home
Hi, ** I also posted this in the tips and techniques...
aligal266
Landscaping front yard, zone 5. HELP!!!! :)
We have recently done some work to our front yard (tearing...
midwestmelissa
Bed lines don't matter if....
They're covered in snow! It will be interesting to...
Bama_Joe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™