found that darn 3/8" sieve

terratoma(7a)June 10, 2013

There have been some past posts about the difficulty in finding a 3/8" sieve to use when screening pine bark for the gritty mix. Following the advice from a post, I located one. Since I had been screening the bark using 1/4" and 1/8" screens, I was curious to find how much additional 'usable' bark I would get using the new sieve.
I had been getting about 11 quarts of 1/4"-1/8" bark from a 1 1/2 cubic foot (44 quarts) bag of Jolly Gardener. Of the remainder, 19 quarts were too small and went through the 1/8" screen, while 14 quarts exceeded the 1/4" maximum. Needless to say, I was really pleased to find that 8 of those 14 quarts went through the 3/8" sieve, increasing the 'usable' amount to 19 quarts. Not bad for a $3.00 bag of soil conditioner. Will happily share the vendor's name and particulars regarding the sieve with anyone interested.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spaceman13(6b)

Sounds great Terratoma, shoot me the info

Thanks
SpaceMan

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 8:26PM
chilliwin(EU DK 7)

Enjoy your new darn 3/8 sieve :-) and good luck.

Caelian

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 7:56AM
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia

I would like the info too!

May screens are 1/4 inch and insect. Works great. But still interested in your info. Thank you!!

Laura

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 5:13PM
afernbach(5)

Hi! I've also been searching for a good 3/8 soil sieve to accomplish the bark sifting to make Al's gritty mix and am also using soil conditioner. I would love the ordering info so I can buy myself one. (I live in Boulder, loves gardening but am an amateur and am trying to grow a rubber plant, some philodendrons and some succulents).

So impressed with Al Tapla, he is so amazing. I feel like I've gained so much from his garden forum posts. I wonder how to say thank you properly. Do people send him gifts? The man is so incredibly open and generous with his wisdom. What benevolent guy!

Anna

Bookmark   September 18, 2014 at 11:43PM
zensojourner

Is there some reason you can't just post a link, or the name of the manufacturer/supplier?

Bookmark   September 20, 2014 at 5:16PM
zensojourner

"bump" - still wondering if you could post the information about where you got the screening ...

Bookmark   September 29, 2014 at 3:48PM
More Discussions
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
Florida Native
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
Zuchinni/Courgette, lots of leaf growth, but not many fruit
Hi, My courgette plant is doing great in terms of leaf...
bopwinter
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™