He'll strip help

schwagerApril 28, 2013

After living in our 1899 beauty for a year, we have come to the conclusion that grass is not going to survive our hellstrip despite sodding and seeding! I love roses and cottage type flowers, but am faced with pending water restrictions in the desert southwest. Please help with ideas. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

pic righted.

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 4:50PM
aloha2009

What zone are you in? Type of soil sandy, clay, acid, alkaline? Average annual precipitation?

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 11:25PM
amanda_m(z7 MD)

For the time being, why don't you just mulch the heck out of it with some fairly chunky wood mulch? That would at least give you a uniform look while you figure out a more permanent plan and it will protect the soil.
Because right now it does look patchy and kinda h*llish. Have you walked around the neighborhood to see what other people do to keep that strip looking tidy or nice?

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 10:12AM
trovesoftrilliums(5)

I'd try to figure out why grass won't grow there before I started planting other (costly) plants.

Is there a drainage issue on bottom left side? Does the area get walked on? Is the soil compacted? Too much shade?

I als do wonder what your neighbors areas look like.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 10:16AM
melle_sacto(Z9/Sunset 14 CA)

I like the idea of "mulch like heck" for the time being and maybe level out the area. Let what's there die off and become a blank slate. If your county has any sort of online resource for good drought resistant plants in your area, use this time to do your plant research and maybe imagine/draw up some planting ideas.

Then plant whenever is the best time for your zone (for my zone it's the late fall/winter, in general; spring is okay and summer usually means a new plant in full sun may not make it...at least under my watch). If you don't want much maintenance, maybe consider evergreen low water groundcovers.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 3:52PM
More Discussions
Mulch/grass over asphalt?
Our entire backyard was paved with asphalt by the previous...
stevet47
Need privacy in backyard on three sides (zone 6)
I really like my neighbors but I live in the suburbs...
stlmom77
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Privacy for Small Yard - Help!
Hi All! First time poster - LONG TIME reader! I'm in...
rsislow
seeking creative solution to pine root damage in driveway
Hello, My neighbor has some large pines which are on...
gardnergal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™