Good Azalea soil?

fredmanJune 11, 2013

Am i right in thinking a 5.1.1 without adding lime because Azalea like acid soil?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bitzppa(11)

sounds like a good idea, new to flowers but have a go and see what happens :)

BZ

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 10:13AM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Even with lime the 511 should be ok. Without lime it's around 4, and the lime doesn't bring it up to any more than 5.5 if I remember correctly. The azaleas (including ours) are growing like weeds around here in the native soil and there's no way the pH is very low. Without the lime the pH might even be too low, but I'm no azalea expert by any means.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 1:37PM
fredman

My problem is i dont know of a way to reliably check the soil pH. I got myself 25 Satsuki Azaleas that i want to grow for bonsai in a few years time. They like their soil between 5.0 and 6.5. but i dont really know what the pH will be with a 5.1.1 with and without lime.
My plan is to use a mixture of bark, pumice and spagnum moss (schredded)

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 5:05AM
bitzppa(11)

maybe just try 1 plant in each mix and see what one does best ? then go from there ?

BZ

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 6:20AM
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

There are soil pH kits available at most plant nurseries. Can you use those? Call nearby plant nurseries to find out if they have them or stop by. They are not terribly accurate though. The soil sample will get mixed with a pill and water to turn a color that means it it is neutral, acid or alkaline. Soil pH kits that give results in numbers are more expensive but available by mail order.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 10:36AM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

fredman, in the post just above yours I listed the pH's of the mix with and without lime. Not sure what else you are looking for. The pH will be low regardless. Anyway the pH of the 511 mix isn't as important as the pH of what you are watering with because using a mix like the 511 is basically manual hydroponics anyway!!

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 12:05PM
chilliwin(EU DK 7)

It is basically manual hydroponics I agreed with Edweather.

Caelian

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 2:04PM
fredman

Yeah you are right edweather. I'm not sure what i'm looking for :-).I guess i'm more sharing my thoughts than asking a question. I dont really trust pH meters. To many variables in a container.
Thanks to everyone. What ever the pH i will just plant them and keep a eagle eye on their progress....

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
Al's Gritty Mix -- A Learning Experinece
I came to this forum a few weeks ago in an attempt...
Jessicasgrowincitrus
Miniature rose plant..
Got this from nursery yesterday .. But something is...
amriteanukul112
Indoor vegetables and 5-1-1
I'm growing vegetables indoors in containers. Is the...
gardev
"tapla" root pruning question
Hi Al, I bought another Brush Cherry, and wanted your...
halocline
new container gardener
I have decided to plant in containers this year, I...
mary grether
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™