1950's Cape Front Yard Ideas

jrcoughApril 21, 2012

Hi, I have a 1950's cape and my front yard is BORING. I am looking for some ideas on what I can do to change things up. New shrubs? Walkway? Bigger mulch beds? Any help would be appreciated! By the way, the house is in New England and the front yard gets sun all day long. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jrcough

Here are the pics:

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=8568097008/a=41139762_41139762/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 4:13PM
yardvaark

The link you provided does not allow one to view the album.
It's better to imbed the photos to your message thread. Where the photo is on snapfish, explore the "share" link until you find html code for photo. Copy the code and paste it into your message here. Photo will show up when you preview.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 4:32PM
designoline6(Z6)

My ideas:

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 7:22PM
designoline6(Z6)

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 7:33PM
deviant-deziner(Oh zone)

My family has the exact same house on the Cape. It was my grandparents retirement home. My family still enjoys this cottage during the summer.
I use to visit it when I was a horticultural intern and a design student in Cambridge many years ago so I have years of doodles and sketches of what I would do if I was to move back east ( I'm now in CA ) and enjoy gardening on this piece of property.

I've always envisioned a main path from the front door to the street. Even though we always enter through the jalousie, I like the sense of gracious entry to the front door.
For practical reasons I would keep the path from the driveway to the jalousie and continue it past the front door to a quaint focal point , perhaps a rose covered swing.

I like the quintessential Cape Cod plants : climbing roses, hydrangeas, yew, viburnum, daylilies , baptisia, hosta and peonies.

As far as hardscaping goes, I love the wood fences, mail box and light poles from Walpole Woodworkers and have always imagined installing one of their picket fences across the front with a small boxwood hedge infront.
Our stoop is also brick and we have a New England slate path . From Last Import

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 8:05PM
jrcough

Thanks everyone! Very helpful. I think we are going to combine all 3 ideas. I'll post pics when we pull the trigger.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 5:43PM
More Discussions
Show Me Your Small Private Backyard Landscaping
Looking for picture-based examples of up to a 1/4 acre...
Bob Sislow
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
Ditched my landscaper - yellow pine choice
Going to my local Camellia expert's nursery and just...
Bama_Joe
Spacing for Armstrong Maple and Crimson Spire Oak
I plan to provide height to the borders of my backyard...
Bob Sislow
Brick Patio from Salvaged bricks
I came by about 600 nice clean used bricks for free...
oldgardenguy_zone6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™