I hate mulch. Options?

cloudbaseApril 22, 2012

Doing some re-landscaping of a building we recently bought. The current situation sucks: some trees, some of those overgrown juniper type bushes, and piles of rocks, mulch, and sticks, bordered by that wonderful plastic tubing junk. I love gardening and landscaping and I want to put a lot of love into this place.

One thing: I hate mulch. I don't want to be constantly sweeping it off the sidewalk and picking sticks out from the giant elm in front. I don't mind weeding, though. Is there a good alternative to mulching around all the perennials I am going to plant, like a groundcover plant or something cool like crushed brick or a nice looking stone? Well, I suppose I do know those things exist, I guess my question is more, is there anything to look out for using those? Does a good stone/fence border make all the difference?

First spot to tackle. The big triangle is going to have some pavers to put a grill and accommodate that spigot. Those windows belong to a salon so some low plants to frame them a bit seems like a good idea.

Any suggestions for plants that will look beautiful in the winter too? We're in Montana so the first thing I think is red osier dogwood.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this seems a bit scatterbrained, I'm posting this from my phone.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

Your question is confusing. Where is there room for plants if the area in your picture will be pavers and a barbecue grill?

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 5:01PM
designoline6(Z6)

I suggest that you plant hosta.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 5:50PM
designoline6(Z6)

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 6:08PM
More Discussions
Need landscaping ideas
Hi, we just built this house on a junior acre in zone...
imcheetah
Landscape Advice Needed | New Homeowners
We just purchased our first home in the southeast and...
Sarah Bain
Need landscaping ideas for new home please
Hello everyone. We moved into our new build in November....
chloenkitty
quick screen
I'm zone 7 and the spot is full sun. I had a 12' photinia...
Mary Bright
light green leaf tree
Looking for a bright green leaf small/medium sized...
guatnut
Sponsored Products
Fire Magic 3591 Kegerator - 3591
Hayneedle
Windham Pendant by Hudson Valley Lighting
$192.00 | Lumens
Harbour Outdoor | Piano Sun Lounge Mesh
YLiving.com
Barnside Small Sofa, End Table, Ottoman & Pillow Set
$1,949.99 | zulily
LumenAria 48-Inch Bowl 6000 Lumen LED Pendant with Crossbar
Bellacor