Help with garden colors please?

gardenbug(8b)April 7, 2011

I have a side garden bed on the northwest corner of my house. I am really terrible when it comes to color matching. It includes..red rhododendrons, valentine pieris (rose/pink flowers) white heather and I'm looking for another plant to incorporate but not sure what kind or color would look good or hold up well in morning shade and afternoon sun? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

Nepeta - probably Walker's Low which is popular and easy to find virtually anywhere plants are sold. Grey foliage with lavender blue flower spikes. Not fussy; takes whatever you can throw at it.

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 5:11PM
craftlady07(5b/6a)

I like the idea of adding some purple color. I don't know if you're looking for shurbs or perennials, or a specific time of year for the blooms, or all season. Also your zone is a lot warmer then mine but some of the longer blooming purple perennials I have are salvia (sage), Catmint (nepeta), russian sage, obedient plant, lamb's ear, campanula glomerta (not carpatica - although that could work too), balloon flower (blooms only last a month or so for me), tall Phlox.
You could also add some yellow. I'd try to stay more lemony yellow then golden, but you could try oenthera (sun drops), coreposis, daylillies, yarrow, chrysthanthmums.

good luck!

Bookmark   April 13, 2011 at 1:37PM
timbu

Um, what color is your house and hardscape? Stumbling blindly here, I'll suggest gray foliage plants such as Artemisia Stelleriana, Salix Helvetica, or a juniper with blue-gray needles.

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 4:40AM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

For gray foliage plants, let me add Lavandula intermedia 'White Grosso,' a gray foliage lavender with white flowers. In your climate, it will grow to small shrub size.

Mine are a year old; I doubt they will ever grow to their potential because of our winters, but who knows? Very happy with some morning shade, then full sun from late morning till the end of the day.

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 11:21PM
More Discussions
the bane of my existence - what to plant in driveway ribbon???
I live in a historic district... the board has to approve...
lovetorenovate
Front yard design help
Looking to finally put some plants in the front yard....
Matt Johnston
tall hedge or tress for privacy screen.
I have posted this before in older forums. Not able...
ritholtz47
On Site Calculations - Area
If you do construction as well as design, sooner or...
pls8xx
Landscaping ideas - Need help with suggestions of plants please
We would like to seek help in filling our concrete...
stinerantsen
Sponsored Products
Washed Serapi Rug 9' x 12'
$5,699.00 | Horchow
Ourpets Company Cosmic Double Wide Cat Scratcher - 0860-3821
$22.99 | Hayneedle
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Unbranded Sidewinder 54 in. Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan HD28
Home Depot
Mersin 7-piece Luxury Dining Set
Overstock.com
KOHLER Toilet Tanks Wellworth 1.28 GPF Toilet Tank Only in White K-4841-UR-0
Home Depot
White Medium Tray
$19.99 | zulily
Marcy NS-716R Magnetic Resistance Recumbent Bike - NS-716R
$180.49 | Hayneedle
Los Angeles Dodgers Coaster - Set of Four
$14.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for: