How can you tell when to harvest broccoli

drayvenMarch 24, 2009

I am growing broccoli for the first time and am not sure how to tell when it ready to harvest. I read things like "when the florets begin to swell" but don't really know what that means.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anney(Georgia 8)

What kind of broccoli are you growing?

Some varieties produce large heads then smaller ones, some produce many smaller heads from the get-go.

The heads will look like the broccoli in the grocery store produce departments, maybe not as large, but green with tight buds (that become flowers if you wait too long).

The florets are the buds on the heads that swell as the plant grows and eventually break open into flowers.

Bookmark   March 24, 2009 at 6:36PM
drayven

Don't know the exact type. Got them at a nursery and at the time didn't know to ask.
The head has started to seperate and is no longer really tight. No flowers yet. Is it still good?
If I did wait until it started to bloom would it be edible?

Bookmark   March 24, 2009 at 6:43PM
anney(Georgia 8)

Sounds as if it would be good to pick now, as long as the heads have small green floret nubs. Sometimes a larger head will separate into smaller ones before it flowers (they'll be yellowish) as it grows since the stems below the heads are branched.

Enjoy! It's fun eating the first garden goodies each year. I'll still have to wait. All that I have out are onions and lettuce, both too small to pick.

Bookmark   March 24, 2009 at 7:01PM
anney(Georgia 8)

Most people don't like broccoli after the florets open, say it's tough and bitter.

Bookmark   March 24, 2009 at 7:05PM
drayven

So is the "proper" time to harvest the head whenever I think it is large enough but before the florets start to separate and grow out?

Bookmark   March 24, 2009 at 7:07PM
farmerdilla

Example here is an Early Dividend that should have been cut yesterday. Notice the hint of yellow. another day and the flowers would strat to open.

Bookmark   March 24, 2009 at 7:21PM
anney(Georgia 8)

Yes, you can harvest it any time after the heads develop. Maybe the "Harvest" information in the link below will be helpful. To get other or confirming information Google "broccoli harvest" and you should find several articles describing when broccoli is ready and what it looks like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Broccoli

Bookmark   March 24, 2009 at 7:23PM
primavera_grower

I'm growing broccoli for the first time too, and just like you I wasn't really sure when it was ready to pick (this was last month, zone 8), but I think mine started to seperate a bit, sort of like your description, before it bloomed, so I picked it, and it seemed fine.
So, I'm a newbie too, so you don't have to act based on my experience, but (in my humble opinion) now seems like a good time to pick it.

Bookmark   March 24, 2009 at 7:23PM
susandonb(NC 7)

I harvest it when I go out to the garden with a bottle of ranch dressing and the broccoli giggles!

Bookmark   March 24, 2009 at 8:00PM
billinpa(6)

I guess someone should mention this. Dont cut them off at the ground. Just cut off the heads they will sprout multiple smaller heads.

Bookmark   March 25, 2009 at 3:02PM
daw280_yahoo_com

mine has a purpeish color to it so is it to early or to late to harverst and enjoy

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 8:38PM
More Discussions
Problem Peas - germination
Can anyone advise me on the best way of getting peas...
Steve Kind
WHO calls Roundup a probable carcinogen
Very interesting... I tend to remain neutral towards...
Peter (6b SE NY)
Skirret and Sea Kale
Can someone tell me where I might buy Skirret and Sea...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Growing malabar spinach
I want to grow malabar spinach, but I do not have a...
robert2014 zone 5b
Artichoke Failure, HELP!!!
I am in zone 7a, middle TN, and attempting to grow...
Trinacria
Sponsored Products
Handcrafted Wooden Urn Flower Carved Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
Beautyrest Hotel Mattress Pad
Overstock.com
Rotary Spin Art Print
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Saarinen Style Executive chair
IFN Modern
Varaluz Affinity Natural Capiz Shell Drum Pendant Light
Lamps Plus