bird netting and cabbage moths

kari_newgardener(9)March 1, 2011

I have a question about controlling cabbage moths on broccoli. I just transplanted my seedlings outside last week and it looks like the cabbage moths have already found them. I saw a white butterfly, which I believe is a cabbage moth, in my garden yesterday.

I rigged up some bird netting to keep the birds away from my lettuce seedlings and just received a floating row cover in the mail today that I ordered.

When I got the row cover, it says it is a frost blanket. I thought I could use it to keep insects away, but I'm afraid it will make the broccoli, lettuce and kale seedlings that are in my garden now too hot.

Will the bird netting keep the cabbage moths away or should I use the row cover? Will the row cover make the seedlings too hot? It's already hitting the mid 70s here in temperature with an occasional day around 80.

Any help would be appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: my web page

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

They will get through the bird netting. Get some row cover.

Bookmark   March 1, 2011 at 7:07PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Row cover material is sold in several - approx. 5 or 6 - different weights. It ranges from the lightweight "inset barrier" (which is what you need) down to 20 degree frost protection (which is quite thick).

I agree that bird netting won't prevent cabbage moths laying eggs.

Dave

Bookmark   March 1, 2011 at 9:40PM
shebear(z8 NCentralTex)

If you have the wrong row cover, just go down to a fabric store and get some wide tulle. It should come as wide as 108" and probably be white but it'll work. Get enough to double it because it's easier to handle that way. You can tape the edges with something like masking tape to keep it from tearing or make your own bias tape and use that if you sew.

Bookmark   March 2, 2011 at 8:05AM
kari_newgardener(9)

Thank you everybody! Dave, I didn't know the row covers came in different weights. Thank you:)

And Shebear, that is a fabulous idea with the tulle! I'm off to Joanne Fabrics today to find some:)

Thanks a bunch everyone!

Bookmark   March 2, 2011 at 11:52AM
More Discussions
Melon transplants or direct seed?
I've read and heard conflicting info on this... what...
formerly_creativeguy
Cucumber leaves turning white
Hi, I am totally new to having any sort of garden and...
wanderess
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
What to direct seed in eastern pa
Hi everyone. I'm begining to plan my garden for spring,...
mfran12345
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™