Can this style be more cottage like?

kjmama(6)April 10, 2010

OR do I just go with the formality this house seems to give?

Any ideas? We haven't done anything to the outside yet. I got some great suggestions here earlier on curb appeal and now am just trying to zero in on my actual plan... I really like a more cottage feel, but don't want to design against the grain.

Can anyone see a white picket fence somehow, or an arbor? What about a more decorative screen door and porch elements? Is this crazy or possible?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bahia(SF Bay Area)

I could easily see a more naturalistic garden similar to the style that Oehme & van Sweden Landscape Architects do, with large swathes of grasses and perennials, taking up to a 1/4 or 1/3 of the area against the house out towards the street. They have lots of their work on the web, just google them. The scale of the plantings and massing would complement the house without getting too busy, yet also soften the symmetry and could give a lot of color and texture. I think lots of repetition with massed plantings would better complement the architecture. You could still get a cottage garden feel with the plant choices, just don't get too "spotty" with the layout.

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 6:39PM
kjmama(6)

Thanks, I will check them out:)

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 8:17PM
still_lynnski

I think you can get a lot of "cottage" mileage by making a small architectural change to the house. Focus on that white front-facing facade, and build a porch front and center, extending forward where the 5 green gumdrops are now lined up. The porch should have a railing, and the railing must be white. If you squint your eyes and imagine that, you actually have a terrific cottagey beginning. Then create a bright blowsy cottage garden with that part of your house as the focal point, and the rest of the house will fade into the background.

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 1:58PM
kjmama(6)

Thanks still lynnski - that does sound good:)

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 9:27PM
gamecock43

I say more trees. Trees make houses look cozy and snuggled in the forest...you sould plant beautiful flowering trees in the front yard, and towering trees in the backyard.

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 1:42PM
More Discussions
Do any of you see any red flags with this design?
We got a landscape design for our new yard that we...
TyBarr
Privacy for Small Yard - Help!
Hi All! First time poster - LONG TIME reader! I'm in...
rsislow
Front Yard Landscape Help! Zone 10a
We are looking to remodel the front of our home. We...
honesthouse
Landscaping front yard, zone 5. HELP!!!! :)
We have recently done some work to our front yard (tearing...
midwestmelissa
Need help building a retaining wall
Hi all this is my first post so I hope I can get some...
jeffboyardeee
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™