Keeping weeds out of patio expansion seams

instar8(Z 5 N.IN)April 17, 2009

I would've searched for this, but had no idea what terms to use!

I'm hoping there is a product that one can put in the expansion seams of poured concrete patios, driveways, etc, to keep weeds from growing there? Like I said, i'd search, but would appreciate any input into the best such product from those in the know!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Lynn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laurell(8 - Washington)

I've seen people just spray round up into the seams periodically. Of course it's not the most organic method, but it works.

Bookmark   April 17, 2009 at 5:58PM
duluthinbloomz4

I resisted using a non-selective herbicide like Roundup for a long time; hand digging and prying between patio bricks and driveway seams instead. Roundup is inexpensive and effective and readily available - just read and follow the label directions.

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 9:22AM
natural-sens

fill the expansion gaps with a flexible substance like a polyurea gel.

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 12:45PM
barefootinct(6a)

I use a gallon of vinegar mixed with 2 cups of salt and apply it monthly to the cracks. You may have to do some scraping and pulling of some weeds, but it works well.

Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 7:06AM
instar8(Z 5 N.IN)

Guess i shoulda been more detailed...I used Round-up for the lasyt couple years, but i worry about it running off into the ponds downhill, plus there're a lot of amphibious creatures around...i thought there might be some physical barrier they've come up with, salt would be an option...

Thanks all!

Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 10:36AM
duluthinbloomz4

Salt getting into the ponds downhill could be potentially damaging, too. Plus I wouldn't be putting salt on a concrete driveway - though it takes time, it has its adverse effects.

Some people claim boiling water works - if you're of a mind to lug it from the stove to the driveway.

Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 12:00PM
Frankie_in_zone_7

Distinguish between preventing and killing. Prevention requires a barrier or a pre-emergent herbicide or potion--you could sprinkle pre-emerge granules into the cracks. Can kill by pulling, or with flame, or herbicide, or various potions as above.

Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 12:52PM
nandina(8b)

The least damaging to the environment method when using an herbicide it to paint it on with a paint brush, touching the weed tops lightly. No need to spray or pour.

When faced with down on-the-knees weeding, use a linoleum knife as the weeding tool. It easily slips into tight spaces and greatly helps to loosen stubborn weed roots.

Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 2:53PM
More Discussions
Huge commercial project behind me
Hi, all. The Deathstar has arrived-- that is, the 60,000...
demeron
Front Yard Landscape Help! Zone 10a
We are looking to remodel the front of our home. We...
honesthouse
Stained concrete vs. Integrated Concrete
Hello, I am redoing my backyard, and pouring new concrete....
sillysally
Landscape advice for front yard please!
We have just moved into a house in SoCal - zone 10...
glitzalicious
Looking for front of house ideas
We recently moved into this house. It was a new construction...
jsandlin0803
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™