How much lime in small batches of 5-1-1?

rarvn(z8 Coastal, SC)June 30, 2012

Hello everyone. I've been following the 5-1-1 discussions here with great interest. I've been using "bagged" potting mixes for years and haven't been completely satisfied with any of them. I'm going to be repotting some very small indoor plants soon and want to try them in the 5-1-1.

My main question is about lime. I'm mixing a small batch of 5 cups bark, 1 cup perlite and 1 cup peat moss for a total of 7 cups dry mix. Can someone please tell me how much lime to add to that? Thank you.

I have an additional question about the repotting procedure itself. Do I leave the rootball intact when I repot the plant, or do I go ahead and rinse all the old soil mix away, essentially bare-rooting the plant?

Thank you so much to anyone who answers. I'm really excited about trying my own mixes and the 5-1-1 seems instinctively right to me.

Peggy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

I tablespoon per gallon of mix. 7 cups is almost 1/2 gallon. So the correct amount would be a little less than 1/2 tablespoon. Maybe someone else can answer the rootball question, but IMO as long as its not rootbound I would just loosen the roots a little and repot it.

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 12:48PM
rarvn(z8 Coastal, SC)

Thank you very much for the quick answer, edweather. That was exactly what I needed to know.

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 2:04PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Which houseplants are you re-potting?

In general, it's best to remove as much of the old soil as possible before re-potting.

Josh

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 3:43PM
rarvn(z8 Coastal, SC)

I'm repotting russelia, aeschynanthus, punica granatum, iochroma, justicia, columnea, and odd and various ornamental peppers. They are all very young plants so I was hesitant to overly disturb the roots. I did some of them yesterday and decided to gently wash away a good deal of the nursery soil because that soil just didn't look too great compared to the 5-1-1.

They look great so far. Nice and perky, no wilting at all.

I really appreciate all the 5-1-1 information and tips in this forum. I feel very good about the health of the roots of my plants potted in the 5-1-1.

Thank you all for helping with my questions.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 8:46AM
More Discussions
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™