Will potatoes freeze

hilary49March 24, 2013

We are having a freeze tonite. My potatoes are up about 6". Do I need to cover? Thnx

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pnbrown

They will get nipped, so cover if you can.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 8:07PM
NilaJones(7b)

It's not a bad idea. They will live if you don't cover them, but they might be set back.

We had a weird weather event this January -- two straight weeks of freezing fog. It didn't get below about 30, but the length of time killed back some plants that are normally fine at that temp.

My potatoes were frozen and I replanted them. NOW, 3+ months later, the original ones are resprouting! The potato bed has become very crowded...

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 8:09PM
NilaJones(7b)

If it's not going to get below about 27 you can just lay a bedsheet or tablecloth over them. You don't have to use straw or anything.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 8:10PM
little_minnie(zone 4a)

Cover with sheets or row cover. Remember potatoes are the brothers to tomatoes, peppers and eggplant and not cold hardy as people seem to think.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 8:29PM
Edymnion(7a)

"Cover with sheets or row cover. Remember potatoes are the brothers to tomatoes, peppers and eggplant and not cold hardy as people seem to think."

Mixed bag there, really. Its true, the potato plant itself is not cold hardy, freezing will kill it.

Thing is, unlike peppers and tomatoes, all you need is a small tuber to regrow a potato, and even in containers its rare that a brief period of cold weather will actually cause the tuber to freeze. In the ground, as long as you're the normal 6-8 inches deep the tuber will never freeze and will simply regrow once things warm up.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 11:14AM
hilary49

Thnx everyone

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 12:02AM
tripleione(6b)

Last year, my potato patch lost all of its leaves from a cold snap that wasn't even freezing temperatures (33 degrees F) in late April. They came back but it took them a while to get going again.

I agree that some cover will definitely be helpful.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 3:25PM
More Discussions
New names?
I was able to keep my name Nancyjane_gardener, but...
nancyjane_gardener
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
ridding tomato cages of septoria leaf spot
It is my understanding that septoria lasts on tomato...
elisa_z5
ancient
this news just in-23 year old lettuce seeds do not...
davids10 z7a nv.
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™