buy premium mix or make my own?

astromechdroidJune 12, 2013

Hello, I just received a raised elevated bed from Gardener's Supply. They recommend that I buy a premium potting mix for it. But it uses 14 cu ft of soil, so that would be very pricy. Can I get away with buying topsoil and mixing stuff in? What do I mix? Sorry for this question but I am a beginner.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Nowhere near as pricey as the planter! Those are nice planters! If you make your own 511 mix, you could probably do it for about $30. Not sure how much 14 cu ft of premium potting mix would cost. Either way whether you got the planter as a gift or purchased it yourself, the cost of the mix is a worthwhile investment IMO, and only about 10% of the cost of the box.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 6:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thatmarriedguy(9)

I just got my first Gardeners catalog (I'm a new gardener) and saw those. They use those same ones (the bigger 380 quart) all over Epcot for their flower and garden shows. I'm a container gardener and was thinking that would be perfect to add to the backyard. I've seen around the net positive results and opinions about their soil and honestly the price isn't that bad for Mix.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
Help with 1:1:1 - weight and sourcing in the UK
I've just clicked that weight is going to be an issue...
containergardenerbeginner
Help! My kumqat is dying
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help related...
bashchelik
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
What's eating/happening to my bougainvillea?!?!?!
The leaves are being scaled and then turing brown with...
ninetyfivem3
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™