Help - Cutting Capstones for Block Retaining Wall

glensidepaApril 13, 2009

Hello,

I have just completed a small retaining wall around a bed in the front of my house using one of the block systems from Home Depot (specifically PaveStone Natural Impressions Flagstone). The wall came out well overall, but I'm having issues cutting the capstones that sit on top of the wall. All other stones I have been able to split using a sledge hammer and chisel, but every time I attempt to split one of the capstones it cracks (and not along a scoring line!).

Does anybody have any experience or ideas about how to make cuts on these cap stones without mis-splitting them? Any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Andrew

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deviant-duhziner

a masonry saw is the ticket

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 6:25PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
Rent a wet saw made for stone . Be sure to get the proper wheel for the type of stone. Will save you a ton of work not to mention runined stones. gary

Bookmark   April 14, 2009 at 6:38AM
natural-sens

I use a quick-cut saw and don't fuss too much about the wet attachment. two things are key for cap cuts

1) make mitre cuts

2) make sure your cut is straight through the cap along the vertical line. this takes a little practice especially on thicker blocks so sacrifice one block for a few practice cuts. Once you get two perfectly sawed through so that the two caps lay together perfectly flush you are ready to begin.

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 1:08PM
More Discussions
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
need help regrading
hi, currently the mulch surrounding my home foundation...
mishyq
To fence or not to fence
Greetings, I live in a heavily wooded area. My wife...
rick777
Need privacy in backyard on three sides (zone 6)
I really like my neighbors but I live in the suburbs...
stlmom77
retaining wall(s)
My daughter and I have been in our new house for a...
stacysu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™