Plant directly in concrete urn?

nora_54(5)June 1, 2011

I am zone 5, northern Indiana and have a concrete urn I want to put shade/part shade plants in for the summer. Basically, I am thinking caladiums, impatiens and something trailing. Do you think I should plant these directly in the urn or use a plastic pot that fits inside? The urn will sit close to the entry and is on the north side of our house, mostly shade. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Leytonlady(NE Ohio 6)

I would suggest a plastic pot that fits inside only because if it should get too wet, you can remove it and allow it to drain (unless your concrete urn has drainage holes, in which case the point is moot). My sister has a pair of these on either side of her front window and she has a tall grass-type plant in the center, with a few pansies and varicolor ivy in each one. They look very nice.

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 1:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nora_54(5)

Thanks Leytonlady! Yes, the urn does have a good sized drainage hole in the bottom. Having never done this before (planted in a concrete container), I was wondering if I would be able to keep the plants moist enough in this type of container.

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 6:00PM
More Discussions
Culinary Herbs?
I need to buy some culinary herbs. Where is the best...
sharbear50
gritty mix modification question
Sorry, I had a response to this question before but...
briana_2006
Reusing infested soil
Last year, my outdoor container-grown kale suffered...
SighBorg
"tapla" root pruning question
Hi Al, I bought another Brush Cherry, and wanted your...
halocline
Fabric Pots - Decor Question
Good afternoon everyone. I'm thinking of growing a...
veegardens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™