Container size for muscadine grapes?

m_taggart(7b)June 7, 2013

Can anyone recommend a container size for growing muscadine grapes? I have 3 seedlings from a muscadine that I ate all last summer that was out of this world. Hoping I'll get lucky and one of these three seedlings will be just as good.

Also, would smart pots work well with the gritty mix for this application, or would the plants dry out too quickly?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shazaam(NC 7B)

I'm trying a Cowart muscadine in a 10-gallon fabric pot filled with the 5-1-1 mix. As you can see in the linked thread, fruitnut has had great success with 10 gallon pots, and that's about the limit of what I'm willing to do right now since I want to be able to easily move the pot. If you don't need to move the pots, though, I'm sure that your muscadines would appreciate a bit more leg room as time goes on.

As for your other question, I really don't see a compelling reason to chose the gritty mix over the 5-1-1 mix when you're using fabric pots. In fact, thanks to its enhanced breathability and wicking properties, I think you could probably get by with an even heavier mix.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Grape Vines in Containers

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 12:30PM
m_taggart(7b)

Thanks, shazaam. I'll give the 10 gallon pots a go.

As an aside, do you think the gravel show in the image below would work for the gritty mix?

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 1:44PM
shazaam(NC 7B)

I would think so. Some of the pieces might be a bit large, but, overall, I think it would suffice. If you have a local Tractor Supply, their bags of granite chicken grit are ideal.

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™