Foundation Plant Suggestions

amy35603April 30, 2010

I'm working on a landscape design for my front yard. I am having trouble deciding what to use to frame the house. A couple of people suggested that I use Arborvitae's...but, I'm not completely sold on this idea.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am in zone 7....

Thanks,

Amy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Sentinels at the corners of buildings emphasize rather than soften. Use something broader, such as hollies and other broadleaf evergreens - a different kind at each corner.

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 12:28AM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

I agree about broad evergreens, assuming you have enough room.

You're so lucky the builders kept that big oak!

A bit off-topic: How far are the foundation shrubs from the house? You'll need enough space between shrubs and house for access to the house ... window-washing ... re-painting ... tuck-pointing -- not to mention using the hose! It's a good idea to allow at least a foot of free space, taking into consideration the size the shrubs will be in a few years.

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 4:21PM
amy35603

Thank you for the comments.

Missingtheobvious - You bring up a good point. It's probably obvious that the landscaping was done by me and not a professional - and I am about as amateur as it gets. So, I decided to hire a professional to landscape the front of the house.

The landscaper has given me the following sketch for the front yard landscape design. The sketch suggests using Arborvitae's to frame the house and I'm not completely sold on this idea....

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions about the sketch? Any help would be greatly appreciated - this is my first home and I am completely clueless when it comes to landscaping and garden design.

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 8:19PM
More Discussions
Need privacy in backyard on three sides (zone 6)
I really like my neighbors but I live in the suburbs...
stlmom77
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
Drainage issues!
Hoping the drainage experts can contribute. We have...
mrsgoss
Landscape advice for front yard please!
We have just moved into a house in SoCal - zone 10...
glitzalicious
Do any of you see any red flags with this design?
We got a landscape design for our new yard that we...
TyBarr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™