Footprint vent: a vent about house size

inkognitoApril 7, 2010

In a so called green city near here where fertilizers and insecticides are banned, where fence heights are regulated by gangs in brown shirts and no more than one third of a yard can be paved, where leaf blowers must not make too much noise and removing any tree over 10cms in diameter requires a permit: a monster house is erected. This time last year the land was vacant a large lot the size of four tennis courts, today there is no more than 4 or 5 feet of free space on three sides and maybe ten at the back. How on earth is this green?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodyoak zone 5 Canada

Sounds like some neighbourhoods around here... I always wonder - do these people spend ANY time outdoors?! Who would want a backyard like that?! I think these houses are the next generation's white elephants...

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 6:22PM
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

So it is written as a pavement percentage and not an impermeable groundcover percentage? Strange. Sounds like somebody missed a trick.

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 7:04PM
tibs(5/6 OH)

Yeah, these will be the next generations Victorian Mansions, split into lots of little apartments. Then the next generation after that will move in and restore them and gentrify the neighborhood and raise the complaint of taking away afordable housing. Nah, that can't happen, these houses aren't well made enough to last that long.

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 9:04PM
kuriooo(5)

And I bet it's at least 2 stories high, right? :)

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 9:43PM
laag(z6CapeCod)

.... and there will be a Prius in the driveway.

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 9:53PM
inkognito

The funny thing is, Andrew that there is no drive and yes kuriooo it is more than 2. As it is on a sloping site there may be five at the low end and only three at the front. Woody, should they decide to have some kind of garden at the back it will be interesting to see how a crew gets to it.

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 8:59AM
More Discussions
Landscape advice for front yard please!
We have just moved into a house in SoCal - zone 10...
glitzalicious
Need tips to make garden spiral
so this is kind of embarrassing but I don't know how...
violetwest
Help with paint colors and landscaping please!
Please help me create a home from this tiny house!...
H
adding curb appeal to our home
Hi, ** I also posted this in the tips and techniques...
aligal266
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™