Savannah Holly or 'Bright and Tight' Cherry Laurel or...

ATL_DaveApril 14, 2011

In the corner of my yard, it is necessary to put something that will reach at least 10 ft high, to screen off a neighbors window that has a birdseye view of our patio, and makes my girlfriend not want to be on the patio. The area is a tiny bit cramped, so I can't have a tree with widely spreading limbs. I don't believe there is any time of day when this location gets direct light. Its not dark, but not direct. Sort of dappled I guess. I am trying to stick with natives...or nearly natives. The two I am considering are Savannah Holly and the "Bright and Tight" cultivar of Cherry Laurel. My concern is that with limited light, the foliage might be a bit sparse to truly screen the area. Has anyone had any relevant experience with these plants.

Thanks

Dave

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nandina(8b)

Dave, both trees will grow in the dappled shade you describe. However, Cherry laurel has a denser growth pattern and does develop a bit faster than the holly. Suggest you post your question on the Tree Forum for further opinions from that that group of experts.

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 9:34AM
IRuehl(8b-9a, Savannah GA)

Have you thought about growing a wall of bamboo?

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 12:02AM
whitecap

I tried to grow a Savannah Holly in a shaded corner some years ago. Paid $95 for that sucker. It got a good two hours of direct afternoon sun, but that just wasn't enough. It got so leggy I had to put it down. I subsequently tried an auralia there, but it melted in that afternoon sun. Photinia does quite well there, though. Life is full of compromises.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 9:28PM
More Discussions
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
Need dog fencing layout tips for homestead
We just bought a place on nearly 4 acres that has no...
tracefacemsu
seeking creative solution to pine root damage in driveway
Hello, My neighbor has some large pines which are on...
gardnergal
Show Me Your Small Private Backyard Landscaping
Looking for picture-based examples of up to a 1/4 acre...
Bob Sislow
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™