Emergency rain question!!

ejh805(8b)June 9, 2012

It's been raining for 24 straight hours now. It's been alternating between heavy rain and light sprinkles. I have all of my plants outside in pots. I'm growing several herbs which should be fine. I'm worried about my tomatoes and peppers though. They're in 10 gallon pots. The types are banana peppers and husky cherry tomatoes.

The soil they're in drains pretty well. And the tomatoes on the plant are still extremely small and green.

Should I cover them so they don't receive anymore water? Or will they be all right to wait it out?

Here is a link that might be useful: Weather forecast in my area

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
howelbama(7 NJ)

You could try to cover them, it may help some. They will most likely need a good fertilizing once the rains let up.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 12:22PM
ejh805(8b)

Howelbama-

I knew about the rain beforehand, so the night before it started raining, I actually mixed some osmocote into the top 3 inches of soil. Do you think they'll need more once the weather dries up?

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 2:52PM
howelbama(7 NJ)

Since Osmocote is slow release, that should keep you covered for a bit.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 3:13PM
capoman(5a)

Slow release fertilizer will help with rain a lot. I've tried with and without, and in my area we seem get a lot of rain or none at all, and I found it hard to keep up with fertilization without any SRF when we got a lot of rain. I tend to use a combination of both SRF and fertigation now, and that seems to work best for me. I use a lower dose of SRF, and then fertigate at low doses which I adjust for plant needs.

As far as the soil, the amount of drainage really does matter. From my experiments, 5:1:1 drains just fine in rain, and actually helps it from becoming hydrophobic. Alternatively though, I found peat based soils do get saturated in rain, and should be moved or covered, the reason I don't use them any more.

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 4:15PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

You'll find at least 2 good tips that will help you deal with excess water retention. Read carefully about the wicks and tilting containers.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Tips

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 8:22PM
More Discussions
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
Raybo's 3-2-1 from scratch?
Hey guys this year will be my first time making and...
wakullagirl23
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
What is wrong with my Blueberry plant?
Hi, My blueberry (rabbiteye) plant seems to have developed...
bopwinter
What's eating/happening to my bougainvillea?!?!?!
The leaves are being scaled and then turing brown with...
ninetyfivem3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™