Advice on choosing understory trees

mercime(5)April 10, 2013

We have an acre of land and on the south side of our house we have large trees...ash, elm, hackberry. Unfortunately a new neighbor cut down some of our trees and trimmed others 7' from the ground. Now we want to plant some understory trees that will give us back the privacy between our houses. The trees will get some sun as the sun passes over, either morning east or afternoon west. We had thought of Amur Maple but believe it would need more sun to get the benefit of the red leaves. Not sure we want dogwoods as we have them growing wild on the other sides of our property. Could you recommend something that would have enough density to give us back our privacy?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

Allegheny serviceberry, Pawpaw, or American hornbeam are some small shade tolerant trees. If large shrubs will work, Oak leaf hydrangea or bottlebrush buckeye might be an option.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 8:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
frankielynnsie(7B)

This could help out my problem area too. What evergreen understory shrub/trees would you use in a dry woodland area? I have service berry, dogwood, oak leaf hydrangea, buckeyes and a few of the tall growing azaleas along the edge of the woods but I need to scatter in something evergreen among the trees to block the white elephant house in the winter.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 9:06PM
More Discussions
Need help building a retaining wall
Hi all this is my first post so I hope I can get some...
jeffboyardeee
Brick Patio from Salvaged bricks
I came by about 600 nice clean used bricks for free...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Need dog fencing layout tips for homestead
We just bought a place on nearly 4 acres that has no...
tracefacemsu
Landscaping front yard, zone 5. HELP!!!! :)
We have recently done some work to our front yard (tearing...
midwestmelissa
Mulch/grass over asphalt?
Our entire backyard was paved with asphalt by the previous...
stevet47
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™