Pruning blue spruces - when and how

dinosaurwiApril 6, 2010

It just struck me. Why should I cut down beautiful spruces? They are 15 ft tall. Is Spring pruning a good idea? Can I prune them on the top and sides?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Only the outer parts with foliage still present can be expected to sprout from behind pruning cuts. Therefore, you will be mostly limited to shortening the new growth each spring, shearing lightly so as to minimize the nearly inevitable production of an obviously unnatural geometry and crispness. Cut part of the way through the length of the new shoots, before these have become rigid but not so soon that they are spoiled by the operation.

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 11:46PM
wellspring

Dear Dinosaur,

Did you know that dinosaurs are believed to have munched heavily on needled evergreens?

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 12:25AM
lazy_gardens

They do not respond well to pruning except at the very tips to make them denser ... at best you can slow their growth down, but you are more likely to kill them.

It's a huge species, growing easily 50-80 feet tall and 20-30 feet wide at the base. If it's getting too big for the spot, remove it and plant something smaller. There are dwarf and compact varieties of blue spruce that will not overgrown your yard.

http://www.pnwplants.wsu.edu/PlantDisplay.aspx?PlantID=253 Sester's Dwarf Spruce

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Spruce

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 7:50AM
More Discussions
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Women Landscapers?
I am one. Any others out there? Do you hire women workers? If...
lifeflower123
Help with paint colors and landscaping please!
Please help me create a home from this tiny house!...
H
Spacing for Armstrong Maple and Crimson Spire Oak
I plan to provide height to the borders of my backyard...
Bob Sislow
Need dog fencing layout tips for homestead
We just bought a place on nearly 4 acres that has no...
tracefacemsu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™