large urn filler

sugahoopsJune 18, 2013

I just got two large 35" urns. I obviously do not want to fill it with dirt. I know of filling it with shipping peanuts, but even this is not the right choice for me. I am going to plant Yew Shrubs in them so I will not be replanting them year after year. Any suggestions on what to put in the bottom half of these big planters?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
WBDB(Sunset 19 USDA 10a)

I use pea gravel or 3/4 rock. both are cheap and heavy. I like heavy filler for larger containers for wind stability. You probably won't be moving it around too much. I have read about some drainage concerns with the soil media / filler interface, but it has not been a problem for me. When you said dirt, I am assuming you meant Potting soil.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 3:04PM
sugahoops

I never thought of using rock - good idea. I was considering filling the bottom half with empty plastic bottles ?? Then the yes use potting soil for the top half.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 5:26PM
sugahoops

I never thought of using rock - good idea. I was considering filling the bottom half with empty plastic bottles ?? Then the yes use potting soil for the top half.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 5:27PM
WBDB(Sunset 19 USDA 10a)

Urn to me means tall rather than squat. Add to that the top heavy weight of the plant, and it's wind resistance makes it a candidate to fall over in wind. I move these types of plantings with a two wheeled dolly and use a bungee to hold the plant steady on the dolly.

I don't think a lightweight bottom filler in a tall pot will be good for stability.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 6:08PM
More Discussions
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Why can't I grow vigna caracalla? Can you?
Hi Everyone I'm in z11 and took a while to get my hands...
rexedwardfairy
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Making my garden easy care
I need an easy are garden. Because of ill health ,...
Carry2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™