Granite chips for Al's gritty mix?

Calzoner(9b)June 27, 2013

Greetings fellow growers,

Long time gardener, first time poster. Working on collecting my ingredients for 5-1-1 and 1-1-1. I just moved to FL and the wife and I bought our first house. We are finding ourselves doing alot of container gardening inside and out. We plan on using the 5-1-1 mix for annuals, citrus and vegetables and looking to use the 1-1-1 gritty mix for my succulent collection and various house plants (pothos, ferns, hoyas, etc)

I have all my ingredients for the 5-1-1 and have secured everything for the gritty mix minus the granite chips. I found a landscaping company locally that sells "granite fines" for .10/lb (scoop your own and go). Description says 3/8" minus which seems a bit big obviously but i suppose i need to screen regardless. Here is a pic, what do you guys think? The picture seems like more fines than 3/8" particles but who knows until I go check it out. Also, tons of feed stores locally in my area but no one carries Gran-i-grit..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

"...tons of feed stores locally in my area but no one carries Gran-i-grit." Hummm, how about poultry grit?
That granite in the photo looks a little fine. Crushed granite is also known as poultry grit, and a company called Manna Pro makes it. I got mine from a local Tractor Supply Company store.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 12:56PM
Calzoner(9b)

Perfect, thanks for the response. TSC in my town acutally sells the Manna Pro chicken grit that i think will work well. Going to go that route instead of the other in favor or more consistent size. 8.99 for a 25lb bag is not bad at all!

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 1:33PM
fireduck(10a)

C...keep us posted on that grit. Do not get the chick grit for sure. I found my crushed granite at a roofing supply here in SoCal. It makes the mix heavy!

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 11:16PM
bitzppa(11)

i found some nice granite at a fish supplies shop perfect size and shape, about 50 cents a pound. might be worth a look if you get stuck..

BZ

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 10:12AM
fireduck(10a)

you do not want round/smooth rocks. that is why we used crushed granite. jagged and broken edges for the plant to draw in moisture and nutrients that are perched/trapped there.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 10:22AM
bitzppa(11)

yep crushed granite it is fireduck its perfect size and plenty of sharp edges i use it in my rock tumbler as well for polishing jewelry etc...need those sharp edges for that as well, was just throwing it out there for anyone who may Be stuck for places to look :) so yes don't get the smooth rocks , look for the ugly white stuff :)

BZ

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 1:04PM
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia

In The Manna Pro Brand.. you want the Poulty grit..

Good Luck..

I have the Gran-i- grit locally and it is sold in three sizes you want the "growers size" 100 percent crushed Granite stay away from anything with crushed oyster shells in it!!

Cherrystone is crushed Quartzite and you want the # 2 size.

Local feed and seed store have this available..

Try Tractor Supply Stores
Southern States Feed and Seed stores too

Mom and Pop Feed and Seed stores can always order as well..

Hope this helps!!

Laura

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 10:46PM
More Discussions
anything you wanted to talk about vii - prolly mostly ot
I guess I didn't realize the last thread was about...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
container mixture
hi, Can someone give tips on how to choose composting...
s501nano
Best glue for terracotta pots?
Yes I did. Left some of my pots outside and now they...
keepingon
CRF burn if 5-1-1 sits a while?
I have some 5-1-1 that was fully made, including CRF...
hairmetal4ever
Miniature rose plant..
Got this from nursery yesterday .. But something is...
amriteanukul112
Sponsored Products
KOHLER Seats Bancroft Elongated Closed Front Toilet Seat in Sandbar K-4685-SN-G9
$63.15 | Home Depot
Mont Blanc Kitchen Waterbrook Dual Mount Composite Granite 33x22x9 5-Hole
Home Depot
Bradley Smokers Jim Beam Bisquettes (Case of 48)
Overstock.com
Thermocast Bathroom Tierra Drop-in Bathroom Sink in Ice Gray 85880
$71.74 | Home Depot
RGB-pixelpro-minidome-30 RGB PixelPro LED Mini Dome Module
EnvironmentalLights.com
KOHLER Kitchen Riverby Top Mount Cast Iron 22 in. 1-Hole Single Bowl Kitchen
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™